[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS 5.0 upgrade ?

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (06/21/91)

   Does anyone know the difference between the DOS 5.0 upgrade kit and
the entire release ?  It sounds like the upgrade kit has an automated
install routine which senses a prior version and automatically installs.
Does this mean you cannot install the upgrade to a freshly formatted
hard disk ?  Will DOS 5.0 allow you to run completely from floppy for doing
low-level disk type maintenance ?  There also seems to be a lot of
confusion about where exactly DOS 5.0 gets its extra memory, is it from
extended ?  I mean I have a older 8 Mhz 80286 with 640K conventional and
384 extended... will I realize the memory gain ?  I'd sure appreciate a
detailed explaination from someone in the know. Thanks!!

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |

act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) (06/21/91)

In article <811@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>   Does anyone know the difference between the DOS 5.0 upgrade kit and
>the entire release ?  It sounds like the upgrade kit has an automated
>install routine which senses a prior version and automatically installs.
>Does this mean you cannot install the upgrade to a freshly formatted
>hard disk ?  Will DOS 5.0 allow you to run completely from floppy for doing
>low-level disk type maintenance ?  There also seems to be a lot of
>confusion about where exactly DOS 5.0 gets its extra memory, is it from
>extended ?  I mean I have a older 8 Mhz 80286 with 640K conventional and
>384 extended... will I realize the memory gain ?  I'd sure appreciate a
>detailed explaination from someone in the know. Thanks!!

1. The upgrade kit is not on bootable disks and assumes that you already have
at least dos 2.11 or later already installed.  The upgrade kit does have quite
a wonderful upgrade program that is very user friendly and simple.  When run
it also saves a copy of your system as it is and provides a very simple
de-install procedure. You cannot install the upgrade to a freshly formatted
disk unless you have sys'd it with your current version of DOS.

2. Yes, once you have an upgrade installed you can sys floppies and make them
bootable and thus(obviously) boot your system off of them.

3. Microsoft uses the following terminology to describe memory:

	BASE MEMORY		:	0-640 Kb
	(CONVENTIONAL MEMORY)
	UPPER MEMORY AREA	:	640 Kb - 1 Mb
	HIGH MEMORY AREA(HMA)	:	1 Mb - 1Mb+64 kB
Due to a feature on 286's and 386's real mode execution is available in the
HMA per the A20 address line. DOS loads Command.COM into this area if you
specify DOS=HIGH in CONFIG.SYS. NB COMMAND.COM has been totally rewritten and
is RE-ENTRANT!!. This adds memory overheads of about 2.8k, I assume for each
re-entry. You also must specify DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS in config.sys.

4. You will not be able to use your 384 Kb on the 286 as this requires
EMM386.EXE to be loaded.

5. To quote Microsoft:

	"UMA support for 80286 class machines is not supplied in MS-DOS 5.0.
	The choice to use EMM386.EXE as the engine for using Upper Memory
	Blocks has been motivated by two major factors.

	1. High Memory is available on both 80386 and 80286 machines. To
	prevent having two drivers, one for each machine.

	2. Development research indicated that UMB savings on 80286 class
	machines did not offset the memory costs of the UMB driver nor
	development time.

	MS-DOS 5.0 OEMs have shown interest in developing UMA capabilities
	into their releases. OEMs do have options that were not addressed
	by Microsft's project, options such as Hardware and Firmware
	solutions."

Comment: Sounds like 'bull....' to me.

like unless you have memory in the HMA you get nothing!

On my 386 the following memory comparisons are indicated:

			DOS=HIGH		DOS loaded low
MSDOS			16208 bytes		61072 bytes
COMMAND			 3008   "		 5088   "
HIMEM			 1184   "		 3200   " (Not needed?)

This is all without EMM386.EXE

Hope This helps.

TOTAL FREE		509504  "		460576  "

--
 Andrew Turner  act@csc.canberra.edu.au
	Die, v:	To stop sinning suddenly.

rjs3@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (Robert J. Snyder, III) (06/28/91)

John Gayman (uunet!wa3wbu!john) asked if it was possible to install the
DOS 5.0 upgrade to a freshly formatted hard disk.  A procedure for doing
this is described in the book on installing DOS 5.0 that Egghead attempts
to "pursuade" you into purchasing when you buy the upgrade from them.  All
that you need is a bootable floppy with some earlier version of DOS and
a hard disk that is at least low-level formatted already.  The key to the
proceedure is that the setup program will install DOS 5.0 onto a floppy
disk if you give it the /f switch.  Actually it takes several floppies, so
have a pile on hand before you start (I think it formats them).  Once you
have a floppy based DOS 5.0, simply boot that and use its copies of FDISK
and FORMAT to arrange things to your liking (particularly useful if you
want to start using large disk partitions).  I don't know how much of this
is covered in the DOS 5.0 upgrade manual as I haven't actually tried to
install DOS 5.0 yet.

	Robert Snyder
	rjs@moss.att.com
	(201) 386-7629