[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC Tools 7.0 Cache/DOS 5.0/Windows 3.0

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/26/91)

I am currently running Windows 3.0 (not 3.0a) under MS-DOS 5.0 and things
seem fine using SMARTDRV.SYS. I'm awaiting the delivery of my upgrade copy
of PC Tools Deluxe 7.0.

Has anyone tried PC Tools 7.0's PC-CACHE with the following configuration?

	Gateway 2000 386/33
	4M RAM
	200M IDE hard disk
	Phoenix BIOS
	MS-DOS 5.0
	Windows 3.0

When I tried PC Tools 6.0's PC-CACHE with MS-DOS 4.01 and Windows 3.0, it
trashed large portions of my hard disk. Any reports of the new version
doing similar flaky things?

--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

ps@cc.tut.fi (Pertti Suomela) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.195935.23657@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

> When I tried PC Tools 6.0's PC-CACHE with MS-DOS 4.01 and Windows 3.0, it
> trashed large portions of my hard disk. Any reports of the new version
> doing similar flaky things?

I run MS-DOS 5.0, Windows 3.0, QEMM 5.11 and PC Tools 6.0 PC-CACHE
on a 386SX with a 210M SCSI disk with no problems. Several programs
including the PC-CACHE are loaded in the high memory by QEMM. PC-CACHE
is a lot better than Smartdrv, large applications get loaded directly
from cache when I run them the second time (the disk light doesn't
even flash). Of course, PC-CACHE cannot release memory for Windows but
it's no big deal if you've got enough of it.
--
Pertti Suomela, ps@cc.tut.fi