[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Converting my PC-AT to a X Windows terminal

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (06/28/91)

In article <BEAUDOIN.91Jun26160220@seguin.ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca>,
beaudoin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca (Martin Beaudoin) writes:
> I would like to use my PC-AT as a X Windows terminal. Are there any
> shareware, free or commercially available products to do just this?
>
> I don't want to install UNIX or Xenix or Minix on my system. I just
> want a terminal emulator that will use my graphic card and my mouse
> and that will run on DOS 3.3 like kermit or Procomm Plus.

The answer to the first question is "Yes - there are commercial packages
which will turn an appropriately networked PC into an X-server" (if
there are non-commercial ones I haven't heard of them).  I have been
looking into the feasibility of doing this here.  It seems that Martin
has a slightly simplistic view of the "world of X" if he thinks getting
it up on a PC will be like running a dumb-terminal emulator like his
favourite comms progs though (no I'm not flaming Kermit or PCPlus - read
the sentence again, carefully).

Many of the PC X-servers run under Windows 3, some don't and others come
in both flavours.  Given this it would be reasonable to expect to need a
machine that does a fair job of running MS Windows if you want to get an
X-server up on it.  Recommend that you start monitoring the
comp.windows.x group for a few days till the monthly four-part FAQ
arrives again (must be due within a week or so).  In this compendium of
questions and answers you will find a summary of the mainvendors/
products for getting X up on a PC.

 Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z.
 Internet: n.fitzgerald@csc.canterbury.ac.nz        Phone: (64)(3) 642-337

johnp@gssc.UUCP (John Providenza) (06/28/91)

beaudoin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca (Martin Beaudoin) writes:

>I would like to use my PC-AT as a X Windows terminal. Are there any
>shareware, free or commercially available products to do just this?

>I don't want to install UNIX or Xenix or Minix on my system. I just
>want a terminal emulator that will use my graphic card and my mouse
>and that will run on DOS 3.3 like kermit or Procomm Plus.

>Thank you!
>--
>Martin Beaudoin                         mbeaudoin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca
>Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec    mbeaudoin@ireq-robot.uucp
>Varennes, QC, Canada   J3X 1S1          +1 514 652-8136

I am not an Xpert (sorry!), but here is some X information:

I don't know about shareware versions, but several companies (including
ours) produce products that "turn your PC into an X terminal". These
packages run under DOS or Windows. Different companies have different
options and features available. For example, you need an ethernet card
and TCP/IP software to talk to your host computer. Our company will sell:
    1) the X server software,
    2) the server software and TCP/IP software,
    3) the server software, TCP/IP software, and an ethernet card,
    4) the above and a hi-res graphics card.
Option 1 is nice if you already have your networking setup. Option 3 is nice
for "one stop" shopping. Be aware that you need to have the TCP/IP network
software and this could add to the price of your system. I believe that
some TCP/IP software package cost several hundred dollars.

Many of these packages support various graphics adapter standards:
VGA, DGIS, TIGA, 8514, etc. (DGIS and TIGA are protocols that talk to
34010 based graphics cards)

I don't want to be a commercial, but if
you want more information, send me email or call us and ask for
information on "PC-XView".

John Providenza
Graphic Software Systems / Spectragraphics
503-641-2200