[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Accurate clocks for PC timekeeping - WWV radio receivers

crystal@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Richard Brittain) (06/28/91)

Hello world,
     I'm researching methods of maintaining an accurate long term time
base on PCs used for data collection in the field.  The most promising
prospect seems to be in one of these WWV receivers on a card which lock
into the time code and then make this available to the PC.  The one
I'm looking at is tuned to the 10Mhz broadcast and comes with TSR software
to grab the time and update it periodically.
My question is - does anyone have any experience with these cards, and if so
where.  Our experiments will be running in Alaska and northern Manitoba
(Churchill) and the manufacturer it seems really only intended them for use
in the continental US - but we were thinking of trying it anyway.

Any other suggestions for long term time solutions are also welcome.
I know that satellite receivers can be had to do the job, but they are
_much_ more expensive than this.  A dial-up program is a possibility
as we may have phone lines to the sites, but that isn't guaranteed.

Thanks,

Richard Brittain
richard@einstein.dartmouth.edu

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/29/91)

crystal@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Richard Brittain) writes:

>Hello world,
>     I'm researching methods of maintaining an accurate long term time
>base on PCs used for data collection in the field.  The most promising
>prospect seems to be in one of these WWV receivers on a card which lock
>into the time code and then make this available to the PC.  The one
>I'm looking at is tuned to the 10Mhz broadcast and comes with TSR software
>to grab the time and update it periodically.
>My question is - does anyone have any experience with these cards, and if so
>where.  Our experiments will be running in Alaska and northern Manitoba
>(Churchill) and the manufacturer it seems really only intended them for use
>in the continental US - but we were thinking of trying it anyway.
>
>Any other suggestions for long term time solutions are also welcome.
>I know that satellite receivers can be had to do the job, but they are
>_much_ more expensive than this.  A dial-up program is a possibility
>as we may have phone lines to the sites, but that isn't guaranteed.

I would much prefer WWVB based time gathering on 60 kHz.  However I don't
know about the receivability of the signal in those locations.  The radio
groups might have some answers.

At 60 kHz the propogation is more consistent and reliable, once reception
is established.  A board using any one HF frequency is going to have to be
prepared to deal with a frequent loss of signal as the atmospheric conditions
change regularly.

I have not see such cards yet.  A 60 kHz one should be easy enough to build.
--
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \