[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Gateway 2000 Query

elvis@hammond.cs.unlv.edu (Frederick Haab) (06/28/91)

In article <2781@cruzio.santa-cruz.ca.us> mscott@cruzio.santa-cruz.ca.us (Michael Scott) writes:

>I am considering buying a new Gateway 2000 486/33.  Before I go that final
>step, I am curious as to whether anyone has heard of any problems with
>Gateway.  The only ones I have heard up to this point is that people did not
>like their advertising schemes in the past (lots of pages, no descriptions
>or pictures of the products).
>
>Anyone out there heard any horror/good stories about the machines themselves.
>
>Michael Scott

Well, the computing services department at UNLV just got a 386/33 with
gateway's groovy keyboard.  I only played with it for a few minutes
but I thought it was excellent, and I haven't heard of any problems
with it either.  In fact, computing services plans to replace 20
zenith ibm clones (ancient 8086's), and are trying to work out the
deal now.

And the ONLY adds I've seen had color pictures, and described exactly
what comes with each pre-arranged system, and a friendly little
call for price for a specific set-up message.

Frederick Haab

jdalin@devildog.att.com (Jimmy Dalin) (06/28/91)

There was an active Gateway thread several months ago.  The letters were
running about 3-1 or 4-1 negative to positive.  There was a common feeling
that Gateway's quality had slipped somewhat in recent months.  A friend and
colleague recently bought a 486-25, about 2 months ago.  He came within a
day of asking for a return authorization and shipping it back within the 30
day trial period for a refund.  He experienced major problems getting access
to his floppy drives from within Windows.  Gateway finally shipped him
separate controller boards for his IDE drive and for his floppies.  But not
until he went through 29 days of hellish problems.  While Gateway advertises
on-site service, it's at their discretion.  If they feel like it, they'll
mail you a new board and tell you to plug it in yourself.

He waited 7 or 8 weeks for the machine to arrive; first the tower case was
out of stock, then the case came in but they were missing a "bezel."  They
gave him a couple of blank tapes for the tape back up as partial
compensation for his wait.  And to be fair, they didn't charge him until the
system actually shipped.

Another friend recently bought a system from Swan; he was as delighted with
it as my other friend was upset.  Swan's a little more expensive, but might
just be worth it.
--
Jim Dalin            "No Salga Afuera"
AT&T                    N.Y.C.T.A.

drv@cbnewsj.cb.att.com (dennis.r.vogel) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.144701.17724@devildog.att.com>, jdalin@devildog.att.com (Jimmy Dalin) writes:
> There was an active Gateway thread several months ago.  The letters were
> running about 3-1 or 4-1 negative to positive.  There was a common feeling
> that Gateway's quality had slipped somewhat in recent months.  A friend and
>
> Jim Dalin

I guess everyone can have their good days and theor bad days, but
I gotta put in a positive word here.  I purchased a Gateway 2000/33
back in January.  I forget how long it took to get it but it wasn't
near the 7-8 weeks quoted in this article.  It arrived exactly on the
day they said it would (they called 2 or 3 days prior, i.e., when it
was shipping, with the date).  Everything worked fine right out of
the box.  I continue to be satisfied with it to this date.

I have no association with Gateway other than as a satisfied customer.

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ

afdenis@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov (Stephen Dennison) (06/29/91)

In article <2781@cruzio.santa-cruz.ca.us>, mscott@cruzio.santa-cruz.ca.us (Michael Scott) writes...

>I am considering buying a new Gateway 2000 486/33.  Before I go that final
>step, I am curious as to whether anyone has heard of any problems with
>Gateway.

DO IT ! I have purchased systems from them, and have recommended *many*
systems for them (at no commission. Damn !) and have never gotten a *single*
complaint from anyone that bought from them. I have had some *incredible*
experiences with their sales and support staff (right now there are over 90
techs available at their toll-free number), not the least of which was a
*free* upgrade they gave me from their Crystal Scan 1024 to a NEC 3d just
because the old Orchid video card they used to use had a compatibility
problem with the Crystalscan (Tatung) That's a real committment to customer
satisfaction in my book and, once you get past the generic high-quality
components going into most clones these days, isn't the company what you
are really buying ??

Like I said, Do IT!

A good sales rep to use would be Bob Burnison. Tell him I sent ya. He'll
get a charge out of it, and maybe when I order my 486-33, I'll get a tower
case out of it ! :-)

The direct number is

		1-800-248-2042 EXT 5537

Let me know how it works out.

Stephen Dennison

       "My life is a sine wave. Now, if I could just get the damned
        amplitude down..."                         Stephen Dennison