[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Most Incompatable PC

redmond+@cs.cmu.edu (Redmond English) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.004245.22299@cs.utk.edu> lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes:

>[stuff deleted]
>The Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible
>made today or yesterday, bare none.
>[more stuff deleted]

I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly
daft machines had a peculiar Nimbus bios, an 80186 processor, and a
built in serial port with a bell telephone plug!!!  Bizarre!

Only about half the norton utilities (version 4) would run, the rest
just caused the system to hang! Dbase didn't work, windows didn't work
etc.  etc.  You had to buy specially modified versions at inflated prices!

                             Red/.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/26/91)

>>The Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible
>>made today or yesterday, bare none.

>I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly

How about those Sanyo MBC-55 thingies?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (Jeff Miller) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.011811.11547@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>>The Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible
>>>made today or yesterday, bare none.
>
>>I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly
>
>How about those Sanyo MBC-55 thingies?

Lest we not forget the Leading Edge (Model D, I believe)
|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

bchs1b@JANE.UH.EDU (Michael Benedik) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.011811.11547@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>>The Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible
>>>made today or yesterday, bare none.
>
>>I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly
>
>How about those Sanyo MBC-55 thingies?

Mindset made a gorgeous graphics computer but it wouldn't run much of
anything. However I think DEC should win the prize for the Rainbow, at
least the early models. They sold a bunch, but even the disk drive
was incompatible. The only thing they had in common was that they
ran MS-DOS (at least their version of it).

	 Michael Benedik
	 Department of Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences
	 University of Houston
	 INTERNET: Benedik@UH.EDU	BITNET: Benedik@UHOU

pss1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul S Secinaro) (06/26/91)

How about the Zenith Z-100?  We have one lying around and it still has
DOS 1.0 and single sided floppies on it (Though I'm told it runs CP/M-85
programs pretty well).
--
Paul Secinaro             | Synthetic Vision and Pattern Analysis Laboratory
pss1@kepler.unh.edu       | Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering

chandoni@husc6.UUCP (John-Marc Chandonia,Biophysics,,34954) (06/27/91)

From article <15716@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, by millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (Jeff Miller):

>>>I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly
>>
>>How about those Sanyo MBC-55 thingies?
>>

> Lest we not forget the Leading Edge (Model D, I believe)

Huh?  I had one of these for 4 years, and never had any problems.
The case was to small to put in a 386 motherboard (not to mention
the integrated ports and such), but as an XT clone it never had
any compatability problems!

Or was that a smiley that just flew over my head???

JMC

--
chandoni@husc9.harvard.edu    | I will not yell fire in a crowded classroom
John-Marc Chandonia           | I will not yell fire in a crowded classroom

mivor@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Vormwald) (06/27/91)

millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (Jeff Miller) writes:

> In article <1991Jun26.011811.11547@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.i
> >
> >>I would like to vote for the early model RM Nimbuses.  These utterly
> >
> >How about those Sanyo MBC-55 thingies?
> >

> Lest we not forget the Leading Edge (Model D, I believe)
>  ____________________________________________________________________________
> |
> |  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller
> |             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
> |____________________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure where you'r coming from. I'm using a Leading Edge Model D,
develop software, and have never found anything that wouldn't run
properly on it.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/27/91)

>Mindset made a gorgeous graphics computer but it wouldn't run much of
>anything. However I think DEC should win the prize for the Rainbow, at
>least the early models. They sold a bunch, but even the disk drive
>was incompatible. The only thing they had in common was that they
>ran MS-DOS (at least their version of it).

Remember that back in those days MS-DOS (was it really
MS or didn't someone else write it then MS bought it?)
was just another off-the-shelf generic operating system
that was supposed to run on a variety of machines (pre-
sumably 16-bit, running the 8088 and 8086 processors). So
was the 8088 microprocessor. The only thing proprietary
about the IBM PC was its BIOS. So its not too unusual
that non-IBM compatibles (did the term "IBM Compatible
really mean anything then? It was just another compu-
ter.) ran MS-DOS back then, before it became synonymous
with "PC".

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.135427.1531@husc3.harvard.edu> chandoni@husc6.UUCP (John-Marc Chandonia,Biophysics,,34954) writes:

>> Lest we not forget the Leading Edge (Model D, I believe)
>
>Huh?  I had one of these for 4 years, and never had any problems.
>The case was to small to put in a 386 motherboard (not to mention
>the integrated ports and such), but as an XT clone it never had
>any compatability problems!

I think it may have been the Model M (the one with the huge case!) that had
the problems.  They went to the smaller sized case in the Model D.

--

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (06/27/91)

I don't know what Tandy 1000 you're talking about because I've had
a Tandy 1000SX for 5 years, my brother-in-law has had a Tandy1000SL and
Tandy1000A for the same period, and  my brother had a Tandy1000A for
several years.

We have never found any PC software that wouldn't run or that hung
or that crashed...never.

We have had one small problem with bad memory on one of the 1000A's
that was a bitch (though eventually free) to get fixed.

I've added memory, modems, mice, floppy drives, hard drives, etc.
to them all with zero problems.

Now if you're talking getting ripped off when you buy Tandy-sold
add-ons (699 for 20MB hard card...please...) and the gruesome
keyboard and the short card slots, they are inconveniences
BUT NOT INCOMPATIBILITIES.

You'd better define the work compatible before you start tossing
flames around...

  Vince Skahan    ARPA: vince@atc.boeing.com   UUCP: uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince
   Don't worry 'Buddy Bear'.  We'll have that tiny brain drained in no time.
							- Tigger

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/28/91)

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) writes:

>In article <1991Jun26.135427.1531@husc3.harvard.edu> chandoni@husc6.UUCP (John-Marc Chandonia,Biophysics,,34954) writes:

>>> Lest we not forget the Leading Edge (Model D, I believe)
>>[etc etc]

>I think it may have been the Model M (the one with the huge case!) that had
>the problems.  They went to the smaller sized case in the Model D.

Nope. My dad still uses our old Model M - Everything runs on it just
fine. As a matter of fact, they were generally much better quality than
the model D's; they had Motorola parts which were a lot more reliable
than the Diawoo (sp?) korean stuff, since Diawoo had quality control
problems in the beginning. The only problem we've had with it is the
CGA monitor's hsync went on the fritz and occasionally fails to sync
when you start up the computer. A "mode 40" occasionally "kicks" it back
in. It's not the card since i've tried others and they seem to work ok.

We were going to sell it since my parents got a 386, but it works fine
and my dad is having problems finding a reason to get rid of it.

Hell, i might biff it and start up a bbs..

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (06/28/91)

Anybody ever used the "Sirius PC Compatibles" ? I played with them in
my university lab. These are MS-DOS (version 1.25) machines equipped
with a "hi-res" monochrome graphic display (which is not hercules
compatible), sports an 8086 design and 800K floppy drives. The floppy
drive actually uses variable sector format.

How would that rate as the most incompatible PC ?  :-)

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guess SUN, IBM or DEC, you guess wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/28/91)

>fine. As a matter of fact, they were generally much better quality than
>the model D's; they had Motorola parts which were a lot more reliable
>than the Diawoo (sp?) korean stuff, since Diawoo had quality control

i remember someone telling me that the "M"
is for Mitsubishi, and the "D" is for Daewoo.

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/30/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>>fine. As a matter of fact, they were generally much better quality than
>>the model D's; they had Motorola parts which were a lot more reliable
>>than the Diawoo (sp?) korean stuff, since Diawoo had quality control

>i remember someone telling me that the "M"
>is for Mitsubishi, and the "D" is for Daewoo.

Oops. I jumped the gun. Yes, its Mitsubishi. (Motorola, Mitsubishi what's
the difference? :)

Damn.