[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What's wrong, Keen or Tandy?

demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Yung D. Kim) (06/22/91)

Hello Netlanders around the world.

Well here's the problem:  I was running Commander Keen for the first time...
it loads, runs, but then it detects a joystick.  Now, I do have a joystick
port since my computer is a Tandy 1000 TL, but I have no joysticks connected.
When the opening screen is on, there was no way to enter input -- that is,
the keyboard froze or when I did have the joystick in, it didn't work.

Now, some of you are wondering, why is this nut playing an EGA game on a
Tandy-graphics system...well, I just happen to have an EGA card, specifically
the Paradise Autoswitch 480 EGA card.  Before running Keen, I've had no
problems with it -- no compatibility problems, and from that same author
that made Keen, I ran Captain Comic with no problems.

So, what's the problem?  Me, the Tandy, the EGA card, the program Keen (game
actually), or a combination of the above?

Please tell me if anyone knows...

Thanks,

Yung D. Kim

Yung D. Kim                                         "I like traffic lights"
Illinois Institue of Technology               "13:2.5 male to female ratio"
Computer Science and Technologies         "Where's my disk for my project?"

"Computing is so tough these days, especially when you have a couple of
 VAX systems and used to have five more and when you have at least
 800 people with accounts, especially the CS majors, thesis people,
 as well as our most beloved staff with their godly/godessly accounts."

WhateverNET (I forgot): demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu   "The Encore/MADMAX/IITMAX"
"All we are...is dust in the wind, dude"               "Ted" Theodore Logan

msmith%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Matthew Smith) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun22.060847.5079@iitmax.iit.edu> demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Yung D. Kim) writes:
>Hello Netlanders around the world.
>
>port since my computer is a Tandy 1000 TL, but I have no joysticks connected.
>When the opening screen is on, there was no way to enter input -- that is,
>the keyboard froze or when I did have the joystick in, it didn't work.
>
>Now, some of you are wondering, why is this nut playing an EGA game on a
>Tandy-graphics system...well, I just happen to have an EGA card, specifically
>the Paradise Autoswitch 480 EGA card.  Before running Keen, I've had no
>problems with it -- no compatibility problems, and from that same author
>that made Keen, I ran Captain Comic with no problems.
>
>So, what's the problem?  Me, the Tandy, the EGA card, the program Keen (game
>actually), or a combination of the above?

Probably the computer.  I've played Commander Keen, and didn't
find anything wrong with it.  I also have a VGA card with the
Paradise chipset in it, and didn't have any compatability
problems.

I hope you can get things figured out... I thought that it was a wonderful game!

Matt S mith
msmith@peruvian.utah.edu
University of Utah
Department of Computer Science

lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) (06/25/91)

>In article <1991Jun22.060847.5079@iitmax.iit.edu> demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Yung D. Kim) writes:
>>Hello Netlanders around the world.
>>
>>port since my computer is a Tandy 1000 TL, but I have no joysticks connected.
>>When the opening screen is on, there was no way to enter input -- that is,
>>the keyboard froze or when I did have the joystick in, it didn't work.
>>
>>Now, some of you are wondering, why is this nut playing an EGA game on a
>>Tandy-graphics system...well, I just happen to have an EGA card, specifically
>>the Paradise Autoswitch 480 EGA card.  Before running Keen, I've had no
>>problems with it -- no compatibility problems, and from that same author
>>that made Keen, I ran Captain Comic with no problems.
>>
>>So, what's the problem?  Me, the Tandy, the EGA card, the program Keen (game
>>actually), or a combination of the above?

FLAME-ON:
	Having used Tandy equipment for 4 years, I would love to know who
suckered you into buying a 1000 TL.  Yes, that is right suckered.  The
Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible made today
or  yesterday, bare none.  I have a bridge in Brooklyn that will let you
connect that Tandy to anything!  Real Cheap too!

FLAME-OFF.

	Having not used the software in question, I would say it is the
combination for the reasons I have given above, but not let Denise Tanner
hear I said it.  If the joystick is Tandy, that could also be the problem.

Bryon Lape

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.004245.22299@cs.utk.edu> lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes:

>FLAME-ON:
>	Having used Tandy equipment for 4 years, I would love to know who
>suckered you into buying a 1000 TL.  Yes, that is right suckered.  The
>Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible made today
>or  yesterday, bare none.

I won't dispute that Tandy 1000s have serious compatibility problems,
but it's not the worst. Look at a Tandy 2000, DEC Rainbow, or Sanyo 555
if you want to see an even worse hunk of junk in terms of IBM
compatibility.

This is not to say that I would ever buy another Tandy computer (yes, I
own a Tandy 1200, which was the companion to the 1000 which actually
*is* 100% IBM compatible. However, the 1200 was made FOR Tandy by
Tandon, whereas the 1000s were all made by Tandy). Many people have long
suspected that Radio Shaft makes its computers "slightly" incompatible
on purpose in an attempt to lock the suckers - er, I mean, buyers - into
buying all future upgrades from Tandy, as well. If true, every
1000-flame Tandy gets is well deserved.

afdenis@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov (Stephen Dennison) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun25.004245.22299@cs.utk.edu>, lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes...
>>In article <1991Jun22.060847.5079@iitmax.iit.edu> demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Yung D. Kim) writes:
>>>Hello Netlanders around the world.
>>>
>>>port since my computer is a Tandy 1000 TL, but I have no joysticks connected.
>>>When the opening screen is on, there was no way to enter input -- that is,
>>>the keyboard froze or when I did have the joystick in, it didn't work.
>>>
>>>Now, some of you are wondering, why is this nut playing an EGA game on a
>>>Tandy-graphics system...well, I just happen to have an EGA card, specifically
>>>the Paradise Autoswitch 480 EGA card.  Before running Keen, I've had no
>>>problems with it -- no compatibility problems, and from that same author
>>>that made Keen, I ran Captain Comic with no problems.
>>>
>>>So, what's the problem?  Me, the Tandy, the EGA card, the program Keen (game
>>>actually), or a combination of the above?
>
>FLAME-ON:
>	Having used Tandy equipment for 4 years, I would love to know who
>suckered you into buying a 1000 TL.  Yes, that is right suckered.  The
>Tandy 1000 line is the most incompatible for any IBM compatible made today
>or  yesterday, bare none.  I have a bridge in Brooklyn that will let you
>connect that Tandy to anything!  Real Cheap too!
>
>FLAME-OFF.
FLAME BACK ON

Me too. I had similar graphics problems after I installed an EGA board in a
Tandy 1000TX. Tandy's inability to help led me to the purchase of a Gateway
2000 computer (286-20MHz) and I've never been happier with a company. The
Tandys are incompatibilities looking for a place to happen, REALLY !

FLAME OFF

>Bryon Lape

Stephen Dennison

       "My life is a sine wave. Now, if I could just get the damned
        amplitude down..."                         Stephen Dennison

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.223022.29340@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> afdenis@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1991Jun25.004245.22299@cs.utk.edu>, lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes...
>>
>>	Having used Tandy equipment for 4 years, I would love to know who
>>suckered you into buying a 1000 TL.
>
>Me too. I had similar graphics problems after I installed an EGA board in a
>Tandy 1000TX. Tandy's inability to help led me to the purchase of a Gateway
>2000 computer (286-20MHz) and I've never been happier with a company. The
>Tandys are incompatibilities looking for a place to happen, REALLY !

  Interesting.  While I have no great love for Tandy, I have a 1000TX
  that I have installed

  1.  A memory expansion card to load TSR's and such into high memory
  2.  An NEC Super VGA card
  3.  A Seagate hard card with Winchester controller
  4.  A Prometheus (Hayes compatible) 2400 baud modem.

  All of the above were mail ordered with no special provisions and
  installed in the computer w/o a lick of trouble (once the appropriate
  manual(s) were read).  The only irritating thing I've found about my
  TX is that is doesn't have a 16 bit slot.  Incompatible? I must admit
  I find that hard to believe, at least with the TX.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Bob Beauchaine bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

C: The language that combines the power of assembly language with the
   flexibility of assembly language.

   "It seems that the less a statesman amounts to, the more he appears
   to love the flag".

jim@rwsys.lonestar.org (James Wyatt KA5VJL) (06/30/91)

afdenis@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov (Stephen Dennison) adds the flame to the heap:
> FLAME BACK ON
> Me too. I had similar graphics problems after I installed an EGA board in a
> Tandy 1000TX. Tandy's inability to help led me to the purchase of a Gateway
> 2000 computer (286-20MHz) and I've never been happier with a company. The
> FLAME OFF

Well, that's better than a Gateway 1000 leading you to buy a Tandy 2000! 8{)
The only gripe I have about my 1000TL2 is having to buy 768Kb to get 640Kb!
It was cheap and runs Novell and TCP/IP fine, so we got one to test on - jim
----
James Wyatt  (FCC)KA5VJL  (email)jim@rwsys.lonestar.org  (voice)817-595-0571
	Mantra: Why is my life so much harder than every one else's?