[comp.os.msdos.apps] PCTeX/LaTeX and Draw/Paint/Charting???

toptsis@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (07/29/90)

Hi neters,

I use LaTeX on PC to do my word processing stuff. It is a greate typesetter
but I always have one problem that makes me sick. How (if possible) can
I import pictures-drawings-charts-etc in a LaTeX document? Is there
any software around that allows you doing so? I know there is a product
for MacIntoshes (MacTeX) which allows to paste MacPaint files within
TeX files. I am so tired of the limitations in the PC,  I really think
of trashing the whole thing and get a Mac and the appropriate s/w. But I
have invested so much so far, so please help. Any suggestions, even not
perfect ones, would be very helpful.

Also suggestions for good paint
s/w on the PC (no matter if they integrate with LaTeX) would be
appreciated. Right now I use the Paint utility of the Windows and I
thing it really sucks.

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (07/29/90)

toptsis@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:

>I use LaTeX on PC to do my word processing stuff. It is a greate typesetter
>but I always have one problem that makes me sick. How (if possible) can
>I import pictures-drawings-charts-etc in a LaTeX document? Is there
>any software around that allows you doing so?

See the frequently-asked questions list in comp.text.tex (posted about a
week ago, I think).  It answers this and many similar questions.

>I know there is a product
>for MacIntoshes (MacTeX) which allows to paste MacPaint files within
>TeX files. I am so tired of the limitations in the PC,  I really think
>of trashing the whole thing and get a Mac and the appropriate s/w.

Not so hasty, dude!  As it now stands (to the best of my knowledge),
there is much better support for TeX on the PC than on the Mac, at least
in the freeware category (and most of the free software is better than
the commercial stuff, anyway).  In particular, the recently-released
emTeX distribution from Eberhard Mattes has just about every TeX utility
imaginable, and a few more besides.  He will be releasing TeX 3.0/Metafont
2.0 very shortly (at the moment I think he's at 2.991 and ??), so you
might wish to hold on a few weeks until that comes out.  If you have to
have TeX 3.0 immediately, check out Wayne Sullivan's SBTeX.  It can be
found on Simtel, along with a number of drivers; emTeX is on terminator
(.cc.umich.edu?  something like that).  But check out the FAQ list first.

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.192237.17156@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu>, toptsis@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:
> I use LaTeX on PC to do my word processing stuff. It is a greate typesetter
> but I always have one problem that makes me sick. How (if possible) can
> I import pictures-drawings-charts-etc in a LaTeX document? Is there
> any software around that allows you doing so? I know there is a product
> for MacIntoshes (MacTeX) which allows to paste MacPaint files within
> TeX files. I am so tired of the limitations in the PC,  I really think
> of trashing the whole thing and get a Mac and the appropriate s/w. But I
> have invested so much so far, so please help. Any suggestions, even not
> perfect ones, would be very helpful.
>
> Also suggestions for good paint
> s/w on the PC (no matter if they integrate with LaTeX) would be
> appreciated. Right now I use the Paint utility of the Windows and I
> thing it really sucks.

I posted a related question to comp.text.tex, and I was mailed an
interesting utility.

Gustaf Neumann neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at, neumann@awiwuw11.bitnet

mailed me a utility he wrote that converts .msp or .pcl files to .pxl
font files.  I have not experimented with it to much yet, but it seems
to work okay.  I can mail it to those that are interested.

The windows paint program can read and write several formats including
.mps files.  There are several other good format converters that are
also available from various FTP sites.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu