[comp.os.msdos.apps] Buerg's LIST File Selection mode functionality

kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) (08/06/90)

While using V. Buerg's LIST v7.3d in file selection mode I noticed
that typing the 'e' key resulted in the "Bad command or filename"
message appearing for a brief moment followed by the file selection
cursor moving to the top of the file list.  In addition, the 't' key
"marks" the currently selected file (a space bar press will unmark
it).

I scanned the documentation and the help screen (F1) and found no
mention of the above functionality.  I'd appreciate comments via
email.  Thanks,
--
Kingsley Kerce             USnail: Dept. of Computer Sci. (or Dept. of Psych.)
Email: kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu         Florida State University

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/06/90)

[I snarfed this file from somewhere.  I didn't write it, I don't know
who did, but it works for me...]

One of the new but undocumented features of Vernon Buerg's LIST program
is its ability to invoke you favorite editor in a point and shoot
manner. Assuming you have version 7.3d which is the current version as I
write this you can customize LIST for your editor as follows:

Using DEBUG and assuming you editor is named MYEDIT.EXE and is in your
PATH. Make the directory that contains LIST.COM the current directory.
Then:
             debug
             n list.com
             e 17f7 "myedit"
It is important that if your editor name is less than 4 characters long
you pad the name with spaces to a minumum length of 4. This is because
you are actually overwriting the default editor name of "edit". I guess
an alternative would be to rename your favorite editor to EDIT.EXE or
EDIT.COM as appropriate.

Now when you are in LIST you can invoke a directory list via the ALT-V
command. Just select the file you want to edit and move the cursor block
the the filename and press 'e'. You will instantly invoke the editor
you selected. Note: the 'e' is not listed as one the selections on the
ALT-V screen and that's why I call this feature undocumented.

Once you've tried this I am confident you will use it often.

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/07/90)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

> One of the new but undocumented features of Vernon Buerg's LIST program
> is its ability to invoke you favorite editor in a point and shoot manner.

Almost undocumented... it's mentioned in the history document, but
nowhere else.

The 't' tagging command was active in 7.2, as well. I imagine it's part
of an as-yet-incomplete feature.

Of course, a file editor (such as PCTools) can be used to alter the
embedded editor name, instead of debug. My list.com now happily calls up
Qedit. Thanks for the tip!
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (08/07/90)

in article <KERCE.90Aug5224414@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) says:

> While using V. Buerg's LIST v7.3d in file selection mode I noticed
> that typing the 'e' key resulted in the "Bad command or filename"
> message appearing for a brief moment followed by the file selection
> cursor moving to the top of the file list.

The 'e' option will open the selected file into an editor that is
named 'edit'.  File 'edit' must be .EXE/.COM(/.BAT?) and be located
in your path.