[comp.os.msdos.apps] code generators

ang@latcs1.oz.au (Ang Cheng Chai) (08/08/90)

Hi there,
	I am interested in getting information from people
who have used CASE tools which generate code (MS-DOS). More specifically
ones that helps generate code for screen layouts (menus, windows etc.).
As I understand it, prototypers (Dan Briklin's etc) cannot be
incorporated into one's final product ie one would eventually still
have to code the screen drivers again. (Am I right??).
I think there is a program known as UI that may be what I need.
Are there any users out there of this?

Many thanks in advance,
Chai.

bomgard@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Tim Bomgardner) (08/11/90)

In article <8518@latcs1.oz.au> ang@latcs1.oz.au (Ang Cheng Chai) writes:
>Hi there,
>	I am interested in getting information from people
>who have used CASE tools which generate code (MS-DOS). More specifically
>ones that helps generate code for screen layouts (menus, windows etc.).
>As I understand it, prototypers (Dan Briklin's etc) cannot be
>incorporated into one's final product ie one would eventually still
>have to code the screen drivers again. (Am I right??).
>I think there is a program known as UI that may be what I need.
>Are there any users out there of this?
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>Chai.

You're right about Briklin--it makes slide shows (albeit very complex
slide shows if you want) but has no code generation capability.  There
ARE lots of prototypers that DO generate code--Vermont Views and JAM
come to mind.  Get a copy of The Programmer's Shop catalog (phone number
is (800)421-8006) or perhaps The Programmer's Connection
((800)336-1166).  If you want to work on the Mac or the Next, the tools
are even better.

I was assuming you meant text-mode windows, etc.  If you want graphics
mode tools, it depends on the GUI you're using.  DRI GEM provides a
"Resource Construction Set" and an icon editor with their developer's
tool kit.  MS Windows provides similar capabilities in their developer's
toolkit, altho the Case:W package is generally considered to be
superior.

Tim Bomgardner

bomgard@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Tim Bomgardner) (08/11/90)

P.S. I assume US phone numbers will mean something to you.  If not, let
me know and I'll see if I can get you some more information.

Tim Bomgardner