[comp.os.msdos.apps] Desqview: I get bad disk performance, please help

mg@cs.Princeton.EDU (Michael Golan) (08/21/90)

I am running Desqview 2.26 / QEMM 5.0 on a 386 system. I have found that
when I run CORETEST (The disk performance program), after QEMM is loaded,
transfer performance are much higher (4-5 times)  than when I run it from
inside DV. This is also reflected in the timing of a COPY command.

I have tried to run DV w/o QEMM, and in that case the disk performance is
fine. I have also tried DV+QEMM with various parameters: no RAM, DMA=, etc.,
but it always gives bad performance. I also changed to run only a single
dos program, using the cpu alone, etc. - nothing seems to help.

I am using a PERSTOR disk controller, but I dont see why it should make any
difference. I even tried to move the interleave factor from 3 to 4, but
this only hurt performance slightly everywhere.

I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks
 Michael Golan
 mg@princeton.edu

boba@netcom.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (08/21/90)

My suggestion is call Quarterdeck.  I called them with a problem that
I was having with my SCSI controller, and they were quite good about
providing me with help.  One word of warning: have your serial numbers
handy when calling.  They will not provide service unless you can give
them your serial numbers.

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) (08/23/90)

In article <2026@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> mg@cs.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I am running Desqview 2.26 / QEMM 5.0 on a 386 system. I have found that
>when I run CORETEST (The disk performance program), after QEMM is loaded,
>transfer performance are much higher (4-5 times)  than when I run it from
>inside DV. This is also reflected in the timing of a COPY command.

[...]
> Michael Golan
> mg@princeton.edu

Quarterdeck recommends that when running DesqView under QEMM the 'DOS buffers
for EMS' option under the Advanced Setup: Performance menu should be set to 0.

This should dramatically increase performance inside DesqView.

-J.

John P. Silva                                 "I drank WHAT?!"
Inova Products, Inc.                 Internet: jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu
(415)222-9255                          Usenet: ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva