[comp.os.msdos.apps] Turbo Debugger 2.0 and Mice

klee@cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) (08/19/90)

I've finally installed Borland's Turbo Debugger 2.0 on my 386 and
attempted to use my mouse with the debugger.  Although Borland's
documentation claims that it has mouse support, when I move my
mouse around, I can't see any mouse cursor on the screen.  However,
if I "blindly" move my invisible mouse cursor to the top of the screen
and click on the left button, the "current" selection is highlighted
and a submenu is displayed.  As I move the mouse around, the selections
and menus change.  In addition, within the help facility, the mouse
seems to have no effect.

Has anyone in netland managed to get their mouse to work with Borland's
debugger?  If so, was it a configuration parameter or was a patch
required from Borland?

Oh yes, on a sidenote, when I ran TDINST with QEMM 5.0 installed, when I
went to modify the colors of my windows, after some number of keystrokes
which varied, I had to either reboot my machine using the three finger
salute or sometimes with the reset button.  Without QEMM, there was no
problem.  Anyone else experience this?

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+
| Ken Lee				| klee@cs.ubc.ca	|
| Department of Computer Science	| klee@cs.ubc.cdn	|
| University of British Columbia	| uunet!ubc-cs!klee	|
| Vancouver, BC, Canada			| (604) 228-3061	|
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+

shack@cs.arizona.edu (David Michael Shackelford) (08/23/90)

In article <9193@ubc-cs.UUCP> klee@cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) writes:
>I've finally installed Borland's Turbo Debugger 2.0 on my 386 and
>attempted to use my mouse with the debugger.  ...
>Has anyone in netland managed to get their mouse to work with Borland's
>debugger?  If so, was it a configuration parameter or was a patch
>required from Borland?

This sounds like a problem with mouse driver version mismatch between
TD (&TC &TPROF etc) and you system's mouse driver.  I have heard that
Borland suggests that you use the NEWest mouse driver available.  The
problem seems to be that old mouse drivers don't support a function
that Borland assumed everyone would have.  For example, MS mouse version
6.11 is too old, you need 7.04.  Same goes for Logitech and others,
with appropriate version numbers.

>Oh yes, on a sidenote, when I ran TDINST with QEMM 5.0 installed, when I
>went to modify the colors of my windows, after some number of keystrokes
>which varied, I had to either reboot my machine using the three finger
>salute or sometimes with the reset button.  Without QEMM, there was no
>problem.  Anyone else experience this?

This is a documented shortcoming of TC++, TD, and profiler.  QEMM is
completely incompatible with all of these programs.  This is because
VROOMM is a dos extender, and doesn't take kindly to other extender
programs.  Borland seems to be pretty sure of VROOMM, because they
are obviously using it in their own programs ;-)

Hope this is some help,

Dave     |  shack@cs.arizona.edu