[comp.os.msdos.apps] WARNING - Bug in JOVE 4.14

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (09/06/90)

I've just noticed a problem with JOVE 4.14 (MS-DOS version).

I was looking at some ASCII data files, and noticed to my dismay
that they seemed to contain some blank lines, with a record missing
at each blank line. However, using another program to view the same
files, I was relieved to find that there were in reality no blank
lines at all, and all the data were there.

It seems to occur on or around line numbers which are a multiple of
826 (I noticed 826 and 1653, but also 216 at one point), and is
something of a problem. I didn't try saving the files to see if they
would be saved with a missing line, but it's disconcerting not to be
able to see all of your file on the screen, even if it doesn't
actually get lost.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, and (even better) is there a
fix for it?

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.235739.9152@morrow.stanford.edu>,
	LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes...

>I've just noticed a problem with JOVE 4.14 (MS-DOS version).
>
>I was looking at some ASCII data files, and noticed to my dismay
>that they seemed to contain some blank lines, with a record missing
>at each blank line. However, using another program to view the same
>files, I was relieved to find that there were in reality no blank
>lines at all, and all the data were there.

Richard, does *this* answer your question?

jim

From: bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
Subject: Re: PCJOVE Questions (and a Re:)
Date: 5 Sep 90 20:15:58 GMT

In article <15082@shlump.nac.dec.com> reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>>it "appears" to lose a line of data. The line is blank, but if I kill and yank
>>it, voila, it's still there.
>I still  have  this problem.  I don't know as it has anything to do with the
>disk, though.

This is actually a simple bug in Jove.  In the 'scrimage' structure in
'disp.h', the member s_id should be of type 'daddr' rather than 'int'.
On the PC, an 'int' is only 16 bits, where 'daddr' is a long.  The problem
is that when this value is 65536, the line will not be displayed, but it's
really there. (If s_id == 0, line is not displayed...).  When you yank/pop
the line, it gets a new s_id value, which will not be zero anymore.

I am attempting to collect known bugs in Jove 4.14 so a newer version can
be released.

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil