[comp.os.msdos.apps] Thesaurus

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (09/15/90)

>In article <4cca39d9.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> esteban@apollo.HP.COM (Steven Fernandez) writes:
>>
>>Can anybody recommend a good shareware Spelling Checker?

How about a thesaurus?  I use WordPerfect, but find the thesaurus very weak,
compared to those available in book form  (such as Roget's).  Actually I would
also be interested in commercial versions...   Carl Riehm.

sun060@Lovelacecd.uakron.edu (Howard Lymor) (09/16/90)

In article <26F23587.1291@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>,
riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:

|> How about a thesaurus?  I use WordPerfect, but find the thesaurus
very weak,
|> compared to those available in book form  (such as Roget's).
Actually I would
|> also be interested in commercial versions...   Carl Riehm.

If a thesaurus is what you're looking for (and a spell checker, albeit
not
shareware), check out Turbo Lighting (I think it's from Borland).  It
has a
large and a small dictionary file because it's a TSR.  When I was using
it,
I found it to be faster than most of the integrated spelling checkers/
thesauruses (or is it thesauri) on the market (I now do most of my wp
in
Windows 3.0 or on a, dare I say it here, MacIntosh).  It also supports
user dictionaries and thesauri (sp?, I wish it ran under Unix).

Anyway, it's quick, pretty comprehensive, and as I remember, relatively
inexpensive.  It's worth a look.

Howard Lymor
-------
 | Howard J. Lymor		|  r3hjl@vax1.cc.uakron.edu		     |
 | My opinions are my own, and 	|  Or you can try me through good ole
AT&T   |
 | even I disown them!		| (216) 434 - 9157 (after 10PM EST, Usually) |
-------