[comp.os.msdos.apps] Wrapping Text completly around graphic in WORDPERFECT

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/06/90)

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:
> I now what you want to do . . . something like this:
>         _____
> This is |   | a test.
> This is |___| another test.

You can't do this because it's extremely bad typographic design.  When
you're reading something, it's very inconvenient for your eye to have
to stop in the middle of a sentence and pick up again several inches
to the right.  If you want to wrap text around a graphic, it should be
done like this:

Your text goes|You have another
here.  Note |~~~|column here.
the graphic.|___|See how much
It   continues|easier it is to
here.         |read?

If you look at something like a newspaper, a magazine, or a journal
article, you will notice that text is NEVER wrapped around a graphic
like you suggest.  There are frequently two columns, with the graphic
between them.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the

duvalj@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu (Joe Duval - Entomology) (09/10/90)

Hi,
  I am trying to wrap text around a graphic (text box, figure) in WordPerfect
and can't figure out how to make the text go completely around the graphic.

I don't want to make the graphic take up the entire width of the page by
using the "Full" selection from the horizontal positioning menu because some
are text boxes that I want a shaded background for and I don't want the
shading to go all the way across the page.

Finally, just including blank lines is not acceptable because that removes
one of the basic niceties of a word processor.  Being able to add and remove
sections of a document and letting the word processor take care of the pageing
etc.  The graphic will jump around from page to page and I will have to add
or delete more of those blank lines.

Thanks for any help
-Joe

--
Joe Duval		duvalj@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu
Losing your temper generally represents the incipient stage of rectal-

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (09/16/90)

In article <20202@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> duvalj@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu (Joe Duval - Entomology) writes:
>Hi,
>  I am trying to wrap text around a graphic (text box, figure) in WordPerfect
>and can't figure out how to make the text go completely around the graphic.

According to WordPerfect Magazine, it can't be done.  The easiest work-
around is to set up newspaper columns and put the graphic box between
them.

I now what you want to do . . . something like this:

        _____
This is |   | a test.
This is |___| another test.

But you'll have to settle for:

        _____
This is |   | This is
a test. |___| another test.

The only other possibility I can think of is to set "Wrap text around
box" to no and tab across it.

Gail

PS.  If you have any other questions about WP, I'm an expert :)

--
Respond to {claris,hoptoad}!wet!gail@ames.arc.nasa.gov
        or gail@wet.UUCP

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/16/90)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:
> > I now what you want to do . . . something like this:
> >         _____
> > This is |   | a test.
> > This is |___| another test.
>
> You can't do this because it's extremely bad typographic design.

No, you can't do this because WordPerfect doesn't allow it. Typographic
design has nothing to do with the capabilities of a program.

> When you're reading something, it's very inconvenient for your eye to have
> to stop in the middle of a sentence and pick up again several inches
> to the right.

I won't argue that point, but I do want to remind you of the
time-honored philosophy that has guided Unix design... preventing people
from doing stupid things will also prevent them from doing clever
things.  I can't think of an application that would be served by the
above-mentioned design, but that doesn't mean that none exists.  I think
this restriction in WordPerfect is as cavalier as Ventura Publisher's
not allowing text-tag changes in mid-paragraph. (and _that_ is something
I _do_ want to do sometimes)

> If you want to wrap text around a graphic, it should be
> done like this: [example deleted]

Your example is right on the money, Mark... but WP should still let you
format any way you want to, even if it _is_ "incorrect".
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

duvalj@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU (Joe Duval) (09/18/90)

In article <82ZkP1w163w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>
>> gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:
>> > I now what you want to do . . . something like this:
>> >         _____
>> > This is |   | a test.
>> > This is |___| another test.
>>
>> You can't do this because it's extremely bad typographic design.
>
>No, you can't do this because WordPerfect doesn't allow it. Typographic
>design has nothing to do with the capabilities of a program.

I am the original poster and I am afraid I didn't make myself clear.  Here is
a diagram of what I wanted to do.  (I guess you could say I don't want to
wrap the text at all just treat the graphic as one big line.)

 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          +--------------+
          |              |
          |              |
          |              |
          |              |
          +--------------+
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is there a way to do this?
Again I am using a TEXT BOX and I want to use a shaded background.  I don't
want to use the full width of the page because the shading will continue
outside of the box.  Thanks.

-Joe
--
Joe Duval		duvalj@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu
Losing your temper generally represents the incipient stage of rectal-
cranial inversion.

mikew@proton.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) (09/18/90)

I don't know for sure whether WordPerfect allows you to directly specify
what you're trying to accomplish, but there are two ways I can think of
to kluge it:

1. Create an unshaded, unbordered, margin-wide empty box and place it
behind your shaded box.  This will displace the text from the sides of
your shaded box, but has the disadvantage of forcing you to align its
vertical position and adjust its height properly.

2 Adjust the left- and right-ouside margins of your shaded box so that
they exactly fill the distances from the left and right sides of your
shaded box to the left and right margins, respectively.  (You have to
change the [O]ptions for the box or figure in order to do this; be sure
to restore the previous settings after the box if necessary.)  This has
the disadvantage of forcing you to measure and adjust these margins
should the width of your shaded box change, but has the advantage of
being easier to perfect and more elegant to execute.
Michael B. Williams		      |	       /|  /|   )  /|  /
Room 532			      |	      / | / |--<| / | /
Laboratory for Computer Science	      |	     /  |/  |___)/  |/
Massachusetts Institute of Technology |	Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu
545 Technology Square		      |	CompuServe: 73667,3264
Cambridge, MA 02139		      |	AT&T: (617) 253-5983

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (09/18/90)

In article <20314@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> duvalj@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Joe Duval) writes:
] I am the original poster and I am afraid I didn't make myself clear.  Here is
] a diagram of what I wanted to do.  (I guess you could say I don't want to
] wrap the text at all just treat the graphic as one big line.)
]
]
]  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
]  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
]           +--------------+
]           |              |
]           |              |
]           |              |
]           |              |
]           +--------------+
]  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
]  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
]
] Is there a way to do this?
] Again I am using a TEXT BOX and I want to use a shaded background.  I don't
] want to use the full width of the page because the shading will continue
] outside of the box.  Thanks.
]
] -Joe
] --
] Joe Duval		duvalj@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu
] Losing your temper generally represents the incipient stage of rectal-
] cranial inversion.

Define your box like so (the significant part is the anchor type)
------------
Definition: Text Box
     1 - Filename
     2 - Contents             Text
     3 - Caption
     4 - Anchor Type          Character
     5 - Vertical Position    Bottom
     6 - Horizontal Position
     7 - Size                 3" wide x 2.5" high
     8 - Wrap Text Around Box Yes
     9 - Edit
-----------

You have to position the box among the text yourself, like so:
-----------
This is line one[HRt]
[HRt]
[Text Box:1;;][HRt]
[HRt]
This is line two[HRt]
-------------

hope this helps...
--
__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__
Joe Shapiro					"My other car is a turbo...

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (09/19/90)

(Sorry, I inadvertently deleted the attribution of this.)
 >I am the original poster and I am afraid I didn't make myself clear.  Here is
 >a diagram of what I wanted to do.  (I guess you could say I don't want to
 > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >          +--------------+
 >          |              |
 >          |              |
 >          |              |
 >          |              |
 >          +--------------+
 > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >
 >Is there a way to do this?
 >Again I am using a TEXT BOX and I want to use a shaded background.  I don't
 >want to use the full width of the page because the shading will continue
 >outside of the box.  Thanks.

Where you want the box, insert a 'margin' code for the margins to which you
want the box to conform.  Define the text box, adding text as necessary.
Exit the text box edit mode, and insert 'new' margin codes with you old
margin settings.  You should be all set.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (09/19/90)

In article <20314@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> duvalj@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Joe Duval) writes:
>I am the original poster and I am afraid I didn't make myself clear.  Here is
>a diagram of what I wanted to do.  (I guess you could say I don't want to
>wrap the text at all just treat the graphic as one big line.)
>
>Is there a way to do this?

Oh!  Yes, there is!  It's pretty simple.  Make sure the cursor is before
the box (or do this before creating the box).  Edit the box options
so that the outside margin of the box on the left and right is, say,
one inch (you can adjust this based on the amount of space is actually
outside the box).  Make sure you set "Wrap text around box" to "Yes".
If the outside margin is big enough (but small enough to allow the box
size you want), WordPerfect will think there is not enough room for text
and put the text below the box.

Good luck!

Gail

--