[comp.os.msdos.apps] Telix v3.12 Left Arrow Key Problem

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (09/10/90)

I'd like to see a solution to this same problem.  I'd also like to know if
there's anyway to get Telix to wrap to the previous line when given a backspace
that the beginning of a line.  Can anyone help?

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) (09/11/90)

I have noticed that the left-arrow key causes the character to the
left of the cursor to disappear.  The character has not been erased,
deleting and recalling the line show the charcter to still be present.
I normally use ProComm, and want to switch to Telix if I can configure
it away from this problem.  Example follows:

	Here is a line of text.
			       ^cursor

Press left-arrow key 6 times, text changes to:
	Here is a line of
			 ^cursor

Do a control-sequence that causes the editor to delete/recall line:
	Here is a line of text.
			 ^cursor

I really like Telix, and would like to switch over to it.  Can anyone
help?

Thank you!
Dave Doerschuk
doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (09/11/90)

In article <4137@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) writes:
> I have noticed that the left-arrow key causes the character to the
> left of the cursor to disappear.  The character has not been erased,
> deleting and recalling the line show the charcter to still be present.
> I normally use ProComm, and want to switch to Telix if I can configure
> it away from this problem.  Example follows:

Sounds like the old destructive backspace problem. I remember that being
configurable in the terminal configuration menus or the dialing directory.
Just set it to be non-destructive... I don't use Telix anymore, so perhaps
I am off base here, but it sounded good.

					Ron "Just Say No To MVS" Woan
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (09/12/90)

In article <2249@peyote.cactus.org> woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>In article <4137@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) writes:
>> I have noticed that the left-arrow key causes the character to the
>> left of the cursor to disappear.  The character has not been erased,
>> deleting and recalling the line show the charcter to still be present.
>> I normally use ProComm, and want to switch to Telix if I can configure
>> it away from this problem.  Example follows:
>
>Sounds like the old destructive backspace problem. I remember that being
>configurable in the terminal configuration menus or the dialing directory.
>Just set it to be non-destructive... I don't use Telix anymore, so perhaps
>I am off base here, but it sounded good.
>
>					Ron "Just Say No To MVS" Woan

Bingo.  From the Alt-O menu, choose Terminal options.  Then set
'Receive BS Destructive' to off.  If this works, go to your dialing
menu and edit the appropriate entries, making the same change.
Forgetting this last step was the source of just about everyone
(including myself) reporting that Telix had a bug where it would keep
resetting the paramter to 'ON'.

Neil

( ) _     ( )   Neil Weisenfeld                            | 3900 Chestnut St.
( )(_)_   ( )   Computer Science and Engineering           | Apt. 233
( )  (_)_ ( )   School of Engineering and Applied Science  | Philadelphia, PA

c60c-1gd@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) (09/12/90)

In article <4137@rex.cs.tulane.edu> doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) writes:
>I have noticed that the left-arrow key causes the character to the
>left of the cursor to disappear.  The character has not been erased,
>deleting and recalling the line show the charcter to still be present.

This happens because destructive-backspace is turned on.  You can turn it
off in one of two ways.

To turn it off temporarily - Press <ALT-O> for the Configuration Menu and
                             choose Terminal Options and turn off Receive-
                             Backspace-Destructive (option H)

To turn it off permanently - Each entry in the dialing directory has the
                             destructive-backspace option.  You must edit
                             each entry in your dialing directory.
                             Change 'Rcvd BS is dest' to off.

This should solve your problems.

Joon Song
c60c@web.berkeley.edu

dblack@pilot.njin.net (David Alan Black) (09/13/90)

Neil Weisenfeld (weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu) writes:

>Bingo.  From the Alt-O menu, choose Terminal options.  Then set
>'Receive BS Destructive' to off.  If this works, go to your dialing
>menu and edit the appropriate entries, making the same change.
>Forgetting this last step was the source of just about everyone
>(including myself) reporting that Telix had a bug where it would keep
>resetting the paramter to 'ON'.

The buggy part of it, I've found, is that even if you set destructive
backspace OFF in the configuration file, it will be ON in the Alt-O/
Terminal Options menu when you start Telix.  In theory, the configuration
file should govern the initial setting, so that even if you dial directly
(atdt), without using the dialing directory, the options will be set
the way you want them.

It's in this sense that Telix seems to keep resetting it to ON - it's not
reading its own configuration file properly.

David Black
dblack@pilot.njin.net

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (09/13/90)

In article <29424@netnews.upenn.edu>, weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
> In article <2249@peyote.cactus.org> woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>
> Bingo.  From the Alt-O menu, choose Terminal options.  Then set
> 'Receive BS Destructive' to off.  If this works, go to your dialing
> menu and edit the appropriate entries, making the same change.
> Forgetting this last step was the source of just about everyone
> (including myself) reporting that Telix had a bug where it would keep
> resetting the paramter to 'ON'.

Indeed, you can edit the destructive backspace feature in the dial directory.
It *doesn't* work for the initial startup condition;  I use Telix with a
direct 9600 baud connection to a terminal server.  I have no modem to dial.
The TELIX.CNF configuration file explicitly says 'DestBS=Off'; but it continues
to enable destructive backspace on startup.  If that's not a bug, then we both
have distinctly different ideas of the 'bug' concept.

Does anyone have any ideas on circumventing this annoying 'feature'?

Eric, tinkerer-at-large

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Larry Hastings) (09/15/90)

+-In article <933@sppy00.UUCP>,
| jwm@sppy00.UUCP (MAY JEFFREY W.) wrote:
|
| Simple solution to the destructive backspace problem: write a short SALT
| program and have it invoked as the initial startup macro.

+----------

Actually, it's even easier than that, guys and gals.  One of the options
on the Edit sub-menu of the Dial menu is, you guessed it, "Rcvd BS is dest",
or (translated to English) "Recieved Backspace is destructive".  Simply
edit all the numbers in your dialing directory and turn this off, and you
will be a happy camper.

And, by the way, "Rcvd BS is dest" is _always_ by default ON, even when you
have "Recieved Backspace destructive" set to OFF on the Telix options/terminal
menu.  C'est bug?  Oui, en petite bug.

--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"You may remember I died suffocating on my own vomit.  That was a bummer of a
 way to go." --Keith Moon (ex-Who drummer) through a "channeler" from the "Sun"

swu@seer.UUCP (Shawn Wu) (09/17/90)

In article <933@sppy00.UUCP> jwm@sppy00.UUCP (MAY JEFFREY W.) writes:

>Simple solution to the destructive backspace problem: write a short SALT
>program and have it invoked as the initial startup macro.  Include a line
[ SALT script example deleted ]

That is known as doing it the hard way.  The second to last option on
the Telix configure menu is "Write setup to disk."  And that's all you
need to do right after changing the destructive backspace setting.  And
even *simpler* solution, no?

--Shawn
  swu@seer.UUCP
  ...!uunet!seeker!seer!swu

glf@sppy00.UUCP (Hill) (09/18/90)

In article <592@seer.UUCP> swu@seer.UUCP (Shawn Wu) writes:
>In article <933@sppy00.UUCP> jwm@sppy00.UUCP (MAY JEFFREY W.) writes:
>>
>>Simple solution to the destructive backspace problem: write a short SALT
>>program and have it invoked as the initial startup macro.  Include a line
>[ SALT script example deleted ]
>
>That is known as doing it the hard way.  The second to last option on
>the Telix configure menu is "Write setup to disk."  And that's all you
>need to do right after changing the destructive backspace setting.  And
>even *simpler* solution, no?
>
>--Shawn
>  swu@seer.UUCP
>  ...!uunet!seeker!seer!swu

Yes, one would think so.  Perhaps you missed the original posting.
Even with the destructive backspace set off in the setup, Telix *still*
comes up with it on.  The SALT script is the only automated way to turn it
off again at startup (at least until the program is updated :-=})
   -=< Greg >=-
Greg Feldman-Hill  {seismo|cbosgd}!osu-cis!sppy00!glf  -OR-  gfh@rsch.oclc.org
OCLC - Online Computer Library Center ...  Dublin, Ohio
    "If winning is not important, then Commander, why keep score?" -- Worf

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/18/90)

swu@seer.UUCP (Shawn Wu) writes:

> the Telix configure menu is "Write setup to disk."  And that's all you
> need to do right after changing the destructive backspace setting.  And
> even *simpler* solution, no?

No.  It won't work.  Try it.  For some unknown-to-us reason, TELIX
re-writes the setting to the 'default'.

--
  Remember when dethroning idols to save the pedestals--they may come
  in handy...

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (09/20/90)

The destructive backspace can also be turned off by editing the dialing
directory entry for the bbs.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/20/90)

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:

> The destructive backspace can also be turned off by editing the dialing
> directory entry for the bbs.

1.  Edit TELIX.CNF
2.  Exit TELIX
3.  Start TELIX
4.  Read TELIX.CNF
5.  Note that TELIX re-wrote the TELIX.CNF file back do what _it_ wanted
    to start off with.

If your version keeps the change, then you've got one thousands others don't.