[comp.os.msdos.apps] Utility Request - Walking the Tree

edjcb@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Scooter) (09/25/90)

I need a utility that will walk the tree structure from a specified point
down and execute commands on each file it finds.  I'd like to avoid the
pipe approach to this -- piping a directory list output into something
that will execute the desired command.  I already have RESWALK to do that.

What I really want to do is delete large chunks of files in the tree and
ideally remove the resulting empty directories.  Any suggestions would
be appreciated by mail.  Thanks a 1,000,000 -- Jeff

Jeff Brown (216) 433-3888
edjcb@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.151041.9590@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> edjcb@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>I need a utility that will walk the tree structure from a specified point
>down and execute commands on each file it finds.  I'd like to avoid the
>pipe approach to this -- piping a directory list output into something
>that will execute the desired command.  I already have RESWALK to do that.
>
>What I really want to do is delete large chunks of files in the tree and
>ideally remove the resulting empty directories.  Any suggestions would
>be appreciated by mail.  Thanks a 1,000,000 -- Jeff
>
>Jeff Brown (216) 433-3888
>edjcb@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov

	Maybe the UNIX-like utility, rm, with the -r option is what you
want. 'rm -r directory-name' will REMOVE EVERYTHING (Careful!) including
files AND directories from (and including) 'directory-name' on down in
the tree.
	Also, SWEEP, from the PC Magazine utilities is useful for
executing a given command in every directory.
	Good luck,

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|