[comp.os.msdos.apps] Terminal Program without shell to DOS

degraaf@cs.wmich.edu (Kip Degraaf) (09/27/90)

Could anyone point me to a terminal program that doesn't allow
shelling to DOS?  I have a need to allow people to dial out
from a machine at work, but I have everything else they do on a strict
menu and they have no access to DOS.  But adding a regular comm program
like Qmodem is out of the question.

Any suggestions please?

moconnor@mars.acs.oakland.edu (Mike O'Connor) (09/27/90)

In article: <1990Sep26.234146.7123@cs.wmich.edu>,
degraaf@cs.wmich.edu (Kip Degraaf) writes:

| Could anyone point me to a terminal program that doesn't allow
| shelling to DOS?  I have a need to allow people to dial out
| from a machine at work, but I have everything else they do on a strict
| menu and they have no access to DOS.  But adding a regular comm program
| like Qmodem is out of the question.

Invoke your menu with a batch file with the following line in it:

set comspec=

This will insure that DOS's COMMAND.COM will not be found.

Of course, you may want to inform people that there will be
unpredictable effects (a.k.a. crashes, most likely) if trying to shell
to DOS.

					...Mike

--
--              moconnor@argo.acs.oakland.edu           Internet
--              moconnor@oakland                        Bitnet

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/28/90)

degraaf@cs.wmich.edu (Kip Degraaf) writes:

> Could anyone point me to a terminal program that doesn't allow
> shelling to DOS?

How much capability do you need? There is a TTY program supplied with
the BNU Fossil driver that simply turns the screen and keyboard into a
totally dumb terminal. Used with NANSI.SYS, it seems to be reasonably
VT-100 compliant, and it has 2 whole commands: clear screen and exit
program.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}