[comp.os.msdos.apps] Using a workstation as a server for PCs

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (10/01/90)

How easy is it to get a UNIX workstation to be a file server over ethernet to
PCs.  We have a Silicon Graphics box here and some PCs we'd like to network to
it.

Anyone done this, or know how it's done.

Thanks,

Peter Summers

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (10/02/90)

In article <1094@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:
>How easy is it to get a UNIX workstation to be a file server over ethernet to
>PCs.  We have a Silicon Graphics box here and some PCs we'd like to network to
>it.

PC-NFS from Sun Telemarketing (800-334-7866) and Interdrive from FTP
Software (617-246-0900) both provide NFS client software for the PC.
Others are available also.  I'm not sure how well they will work with
a Silicon Graphics box.  Sun provides the source for any software that
has to go on the Unix end.

Check comp.protocols.nfs.  I'm sure I saw a recent discussion by
individuals using a Silicon Graphics machine with PC-NFS.

If the software works (which it doubtless will) using the Unix machine
as a server is then quite easy. Set everybody's machines up to mount
certain directories as J:, K:, etc.  Then place the software you want
to share in those directories.  Some software is tricky.  Other
software works without a hitch.  Paradox 3.0 seems to be quite happy
using PC-NFS as a valid network.

			 Eric Pilger
			 Systems Programmer
			 NASA Infrared Telescope Facility