[comp.os.msdos.apps] Borland Quattro and PCNFS

snow@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Ned Snow) (10/01/90)

We are attempting to use Borland Quattro spreadsheet under PCNFS. However,
whenever Quattro is executed with the NFS drivers loaded, it fails with
a "Too Many Open Files" error. This occurs with both the single-user and
network versions of Quattro. As far as I know, both products are the current
versions, as the network was only recently installed.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on, and what can be done to
overcome it?

Thanks,
Ned

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (10/02/90)

In article <2326@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> snow@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Ned Snow) writes:
>We are attempting to use Borland Quattro spreadsheet under PCNFS. However,
>whenever Quattro is executed with the NFS drivers loaded, it fails with
>a "Too Many Open Files" error. This occurs with both the single-user and

I had a similar problem with Microsoft C 5.1.  At random intervals, it
would tell me it couldn't open a file.  My DOS file handles were set
to 35 or 40, so I didn't think this was the problem, until I noticed
the file handles switch that can be given with pcnfs.sys.  I set this
to something large (ridiculous actually, 64, I probably don't need
such a large number.)  Haven't had a problem since.  Try something
like:

device=pcnfs.sys /f40

			     Eric Pilger
			     Systems Programmer
			     NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

dar@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (David Rubie) (10/03/90)

From article <2326@runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, by snow@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Ned Snow):
> We are attempting to use Borland Quattro spreadsheet under PCNFS. However,
> whenever Quattro is executed with the NFS drivers loaded, it fails with
> a "Too Many Open Files" error. This occurs with both the single-user and
> network versions of Quattro. As far as I know, both products are the current
> versions, as the network was only recently installed.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on, and what can be done to
> overcome it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ned

We had much the same problem with a package called SAS on our PC-NFS
network, which was solved by adding an extra flag to the NFS driver.
The flag has something to do with the amount of files that NFS allows you
to open.  The following worked for us...

In the CONFIG.SYS file, where the driver PCNFS.SYS is loaded.

DEVICE = C:\NFS\PCNFS.SYS /F 75
                          ^^^^^
			  add this, increase or decrease the number as
			  required.

-------------------------------
David Rubie
Programmer
Computer Science
Australian Defence Force Academy.

snow@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Ned Snow) (10/04/90)

>such a large number.)  Haven't had a problem since.  Try something
>like:
>
>device=pcnfs.sys /f40
>
>			     Eric Pilger
>			     Systems Programmer
>			     NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

This is in fact the problem. I should have mentioned that we all ready had
"files=" some large number. Evidently the "consultants" who installed the
network were not aware of this switch. G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz kindly mailed
me his CONFIG.SYS which had the switch set. We altered ours to match, and
all is now fine.

Thanks very much to all who responded. Ain't the net magic! :-)

Ned