[comp.os.msdos.apps] ASCII text -> Lotus 1-2-3

alicia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Alicia Ann Weinhold) (10/02/90)

I need a program that can take a ASCII text report (set up as a standard
report, you know rows of data that are in columns) and translate it so
that I can import it into Lotus 1-2-3 cells.

I need this so I can do what-ifs and other analysis on it.

If such a program is not available, can someone tell me how a 1-2-3 file
is set up so I can write this program.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

				   Alicia

alien@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Tom von Alten) (10/03/90)

Use Lotus' "Import" function - it loads ASCII data into your spreadsheet.
The file is expected to be suffixed .PRN

Your Lotus manual will be happy to fill you in on the details.

koji@isi.edu (Koji Okazaki) (10/03/90)

In article <6707@uwm.edu> alicia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Alicia Ann Weinhold) writes:

>I need a program that can take a ASCII text report (set up as a standard
>report, you know rows of data that are in columns) and translate it so
>that I can import it into Lotus 1-2-3 cells.
>
>I need this so I can do what-ifs and other analysis on it.
>
>If such a program is not available, can someone tell me how a 1-2-3 file
>is set up so I can write this program.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>				   Alicia

Lotus 123 already has this feature.  Use /file import and /data parse
to import and align your data for proper parsing.

					/Koji

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (10/05/90)

I have before me a copy of a package called Monarch, from Personics, which
"Reads your reports and hands you the data."

"Monarch gives you instant access to data buried in computer-generated
reports.  Input a report file into Monarch and the data comes alive....You
can see it, summarize it and send it out to your spreadsheet, word
processor, graphics package, or database manager.  Monarch can read any
report stored on disk, including ASCII files, TXT files, PRN files, RPT
files, and SDF files....it is translated into your choice of WKS, WK1, DBF,
delimited ASCII or straight TEXT format."

PERSONICS
63 Great Road
Maynard, MA  01754
(508) 897-1575
FAX (508) 897-1947.

I've never used this.  It was an eval given to me, and I've never even
opened the box.  (Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to pass it along, but if
you get/try the software, let me know how it performs.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_