[comp.os.msdos.apps] WORDPERFECT 5.1 Sorting

davis@ee.udel.edu (Michael Davis) (10/03/90)

I ran into a problem using wordperfect 5.1 sorting.

I have a bibliography that I add to as I aquire references and sort them
before entering it into a paper.  The problem is the entry that is sorted
to the top seems to retain its page placement as if it was still in the
original.  For example, if the A entry is 2.2 inches down from the third
page orginally, when sorted, the document begins 2.2 inches from the top
leaving a 2.2 inch blank place at the bottom of the first page.  The only
way I've been able to kludge it is to find the first entry manually and
force it to lie at the begining of some page..

Has anyone seen this before and can help me around it?

thanks

mike  (davis@udel.edu)

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (10/07/90)

In article <32230@nigel.ee.udel.edu> davis@ee.udel.edu (Michael Davis) writes:
>I ran into a problem using wordperfect 5.1 sorting.
>
>I have a bibliography that I add to as I aquire references and sort them
>before entering it into a paper.  The problem is the entry that is sorted
>to the top seems to retain its page placement as if it was still in the
>original.  For example, if the A entry is 2.2 inches down from the third
>page orginally, when sorted, the document begins 2.2 inches from the top
>leaving a 2.2 inch blank place at the bottom of the first page.  The only
>way I've been able to kludge it is to find the first entry manually and
>force it to lie at the begining of some page..

I'm not sure I understand, but if I do, you could have one or two different
problems.  One, check the obvious:  do you have an [Advance] code in your
entry?  Second, if your bibliography is tied to your paper footnote-wise,
check for positioning codes in the footnote.  I have had problems where
people included formatting codes in the [Mark ToC] entry, and the formatting
is applied to the entry in the Table of Contents.

Now, I might have completely misunderstood, in which case all of this is
irrelevant...

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_