[comp.os.msdos.apps] Learning Curves on Editors

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/09/90)

> nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu writes:
>
> Sprint seems to be a great editor. vi probably is, even though it has
> a rather unique or peculiar set-up, so is Emacs. The biggest problems
> with these editors is their biggest asset: hard learning curve, no
> context-sensitive help, and above all, no menu. Fast and dirty.

I always thought that the way WordStar did it was great.  You had a menu taking
up the top third of the screen showing you the command keys, and when you
learned those you could turn that off.  Certain keys invoked submenus as well,
and when you hit one of those (with the main menu turned off) and waited a
second or so it assumed you were slightly confused and popped up a submenu
reference.

Now *that* was user-friendly.  It was there when you needed it, and gone when
you didn't.

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736