[comp.os.msdos.apps] 4DOS memory problem, XMS

keirje@triton.unm.edu (Keirje Aldranske) (10/08/90)

   I thought I should clarify my 4DOS extended (XMS) memory problem.  4DOS
  takes over all extended memory.  I want to find a way to reserve some
  extended memory for applications.  Also, I would like to know what 4DOS is
  doing with the extended memory.  Is it making Upper Memory Blocks?

Here is my CONFIG.SYS:

FILES=30
BREAK=ON
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DRIVER.SYS /D:00 /F:00
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DRIVER.SYS /D:01 /F:02
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\KEYSTACK.SYS
SHELL=C:\4DOS.COM /S:X /E:1024 /P /U

Here is what 4DOS' built in memory display program says:

     655,360 bytes total RAM
     532,912 bytes free

   1,348,608 bytes free XMS memory  (HMA is free)

         512 bytes total environment
         279 bytes free

       1,024 bytes total alias
         279 bytes free

       1,024 bytes total history

            Any help would be appreciated!   - Kay

PS.  I am using MSDOS 4.01 and 4DOS 3.02

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (10/10/90)

Kay, it's not 4DOS but rather HIMEM.SYS that's allocating all the extended
memory.  It doesn't look like you can limit that amount of memory, per
HIMEM.SYS documentation.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

keirje@triton.unm.edu (Keirje Aldranske) (10/10/90)

From keirje Tue Oct  9 18:22:38 1990
Subject: Re: 4DOS memory problem, XMS
To: toma%tekgvs.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 90 18:22:38 MDT

> Try running 4DOS telling it either not to swap or to swap to a disk file. Then
> It shouldn't be using any extended memory. I started using 4DOS before I got
> the new XMS driver, so I don't know how it works with command.com.
>
> TOm

   The problem is now understood :)  the XMS driver takes over all extended
 memory (almost just like EMS)  MSDOS (although I can't understand why) does
 not properly use the XMS driver.  It will not report the extended memory as
 being managed by XMS...  4DOS, however, does.  I am glad.  I do wish that
 the programs coming out today would use the standard thought (dang frustrating)

      thanks... Kay

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/11/90)

I don't think, from your description, that you have a problem
at all.

4DOS "takes over" that memory only to make it available to your
applications.  It functions in much the same manner as cshell,
within the limitations of a DOS environment.  I've used it
for about eighteen months on my '386, which has 4 megs of
RAM, and never had a problem.  And I run Paradox 3.5, Quattro
Pro, Windows 3.0 (about half the time), Word for Windows,
WordPerfect . . . .

The 4DOS memory command simply shows you what you have, not
what 4DOS is reserving for its exclusive use.

Cathy

Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM