[comp.os.msdos.apps] SUMMARY - Looking for GOOD comm program

nelson@sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (10/16/90)

In the referenced article,
I was looking for a comm program with ALL the following features:
	1.  VT-1xx terminal emulation,  with 43/50 line mode.
	2.  Works at 19,200 bits/second, Preferably also at 38,400
	3.  Supports rts/cts flow control, can keep up at 19,200
	4.  Built-in Xmodem, Xmodem-1k, Ymodem, Zmodem (most important!)
	5.  Built in round-robin dialer, 30 number memory minimum,
	6.  BUG FREE.  No terminal emulation bugs obvious on first use.

Other features that would be nice but are NOT necessary:
	A.  scroll back feature
	B.  session capture to a file.
	C.  script language, to automate login.
	D.  "learn" feature to generate login scripts.
	E.  Modem7 file transfer protocol (a.k.a. Xmodem-BATCH)
	F.  Kermit with 1K block size.
	G.  supports Telebit's extended command language.
	H.  operates in Windows 3.0 and/or Desqview 386 environment.

I listed four tested programs that do not meet the criteria:
1.  Procomm 2.4.2 + patches.
2.  Kermit.  Version 3.01.
3.  QMODEM SST Version 3.1.
4.  Telix Version 3.12.

I got several replies telling me, in effect, "I recommend the such-and-such
package even though it doesn't doesn't do 43/50 line mode, and doesn't have
built-in Zmodem."  Sheesh.

Here are some of the better replies, with a few comments of my own
interspersed.
>From: Tim Tsai <it1@Ra.MsState.Edu>

>Latest Qmodem is Version 4.2.  It does support Zmodem internally now.
>You should also give Telemate 2.2 a shot.  It has all the features
>you need plus a multi-tasking kernel.  You can get both Qmodem and Telemate
>in Wuarchive.wustl.edu or Simtel20, anonymous FTP.

Thanks!  QModem 4.2 has passed my vi test, and I've downloaded one file
using the Zmodem protocol with it.  This looks like a winner.

The version of Telemate on Wuarchive is Telemate 2.11, not 2.2. Telemate
has a built-in mouse support, built-in windows, similar to those in
DesqView, 50-line mode, Zmodem, and a list of about 20 tunes it will play
on the speaker, which includes the "Adams Family" tune, two Scott Joplin
rags, and some classical stuff.  I haven't yet done my vi test, nor Zmodem,
(because my UNIX system was inaccesible over the weekend) so I can't say it
passes all my tests, but it's definitely a contender.
>From gail@wet.UUCP

>I am using QModem 4.2b which is the most recent (like as of a few
>days ago) version.  It has built in Z-Modem; this includes a really
>cool feature of auto-download (i.e., as soon as the remote site begins
>to send with ZModem, QModem starts receiving--you don't have to press
>Page-Down!).
>Anyway, if you don't have the number for The Forbin Project bulletin
>board, it's 1-319-233-6157.  You can download the lastest version from
>there.
>So, there you go...the perfect (I've always said so) comm program: QModem!!!

Thanks Gail.
>From: Miriam Clifford <dmimi@uncecs.edu>

>I've been using HyperAccess on a Z-100 for quite a while.  It is now also
>available in a much more sophisticated version for the pc.  I'm not sure it
>has z-modem, but think it does have everything else you want. Check it out.

>HyperAccess/5
>Hilgraeve, Inc
>111 Conant Ave, Suite A
>Monroe, MI  48161
>1-800-826-2760
>Fax: 1-313-243-0645

Unfortunately, from the description above, I am pretty uncertain if this
program has 50-line mode and zmodem.  If Qmodem 4.2 and Telemate hadn't
come along, I would have pursued this lead.

Nelson Bolyard      nelson@sgi.COM      {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.