[comp.os.msdos.apps] Looking for help with dBASE overflowing the print buffer

miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) (10/16/90)

I use dBASE IV with a Laserjet IIP w/2Meg.  When I print large reports,
dBASE gets way ahead
of the printer and tries to tell me that the I have a printer error.
The real problem is just that the print buffer
is full.  I'm getting really sick of waiting for a few pages to print,
telling dBASE to retry, having it timeout, wait some more, etc.  Anybody
know of a way to make dBASE do real spooling?  It seems to me that if
WordPerfect can tell the difference between a full print buffer and a
real printer error there's no excuse for dBASE not too.

Thanks in advance,
Herb Miller

Hewlett-Packard           Apollo Systems Division
MS: CHD-02-CS             508/256-6600  x4220
250 Apollo Drive          HP TELNET: 256-4220
Chelmsford, MA 01824      EMail: miller_h@apollo.hp.com

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (10/18/90)

In article <4d6f1a08.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:
> I use dBASE IV with a Laserjet IIP w/2Meg.  When I print large reports,
> dBASE gets way ahead
> of the printer and tries to tell me that the I have a printer error.
> The real problem is just that the print buffer
> is full.  I'm getting really sick of waiting for a few pages to print,
> telling dBASE to retry, having it timeout, wait some more, etc.  Anybody
> know of a way to make dBASE do real spooling?  It seems to me that if
> WordPerfect can tell the difference between a full print buffer and a
> real printer error there's no excuse for dBASE not too.

I have this problem too, and it _is_ annoying.  My solution was to use
"PRN2FILE" from PC Magazine.  It capture anything sent to PRN.  Then I
copy the file to PRN while I go for my coffee break.

PC Magazine utilities are available on Compuserve: type "GO PCMAGNET".
They are free but not public domain: i.e., you can legally give copies
away but not sell them.

As long as we're talking about dBASE IV,what a disappointment!  It's
significantly slower than III--even dBASE IV 1.1 which is advertised as
being fast.  Navigating through all of dBASE's menus is a pain, and so
is programming my own menus.  (In dBASE's own menus, Alt-keys access the
main choices along the top of the screen.  But the only way in a usser
menu is to hit the arrow keys until you come to the one you want, or use
lots of ON statements to capture the Alt keys.  What a pain.)  The ads
say that they include Structured Query Language, which is true; but they
don't tell you thaat you don't get the reference manual.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get Foxbase.

The above opinions are not attributable to any other person or company.
                                     email: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.   +1 216 371 0043

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (10/18/90)

In article <4d6f1a08.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:
> I use dBASE IV with a Laserjet IIP w/2Meg.  When I print large reports,
> dBASE gets way ahead
> of the printer and tries to tell me that the I have a printer error.
> The real problem is just that the print buffer
> is full.  I'm getting really sick of waiting for a few pages to print,
> telling dBASE to retry, having it timeout, wait some more, etc.
> [...]

I had the same problem back with dBASE III (not +, mind you!).  Since that
time I've taken the habit of sending reports to disk, to be printed later.
(I need this anyways, to print accentuated chars on the HP!)

Alternatively, I load DOS' PRINT before dBASE, and do something like
 repo form ... to file.txt
 ! print file.txt

Even COPY worked better than sending a report "to print".

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva