[comp.os.msdos.apps] Lotus Manuscript

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (10/19/90)

kooijman@duteca (Richard Kooijman) writes:
>kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:
>>The thing
>>that I hate about manuscript is the virtual memory management control (not
>>as great as it turns out to be) and its printer drivers (compared to
>>WordPerfect, it doesn't even come close).
>Could you please elaborate on these two? I haven't got any problem with those,
>but I like to know what problems you had.

When we had a bunch of people using Manuscript, we would tend to get VM1 errors
in the Manuscript program when doing whatever (usually a print final job).
Even though we configured the program to use a meg of EMS (we had at least that
much if not more) and the local hard drive for their virtual memory management,
we would constantly get this error.  The other bad thing is that it forces you
to have EMS 4.0 rather than 3.2, so that you couldn't run it on cheaper
machines that come with EMS 3.2 (like the AST Bravo line).

As for printer drivers, we tend to have some of the wildest printer collection
around.  I'm not sure if Lotus has them but we don't have drivers for our
HP laserjet IIID right now, or the ability to use Adobe Type I fonts that
aren't part of the driver (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one).
I wouldn't mind seeing a postscript HP Laserjet IID driver or a IIID driver
for that matter (duplex postscript printing from two different bins would
be nice :).

Bob
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!
Bitnet:    kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.bitnet    | - My Life with the Thrill Kill
UUCP:  ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!chsun1!kusumoto  |   Kult, "Kooler than Jesus"