[comp.os.msdos.apps] MS Word, PostScript, and PC-NFS

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (10/22/90)

I'm using Microsoft Word 5.0 (actually 5.0B) and I'm having trouble
printing to a network PostScript printer.  The PC talks to a Sun4
server via PC-NFS.  In order to print a file, I have to print to a
file (ESC P F), shell to DOS or do Library Run, and do a PC-NFS net
print of the output file.  Is there a way to do this directly (ESC
Print Printer)?  Thanks...
--
Adam Porter: Assistant SysAdmin, NEC Research Institute, Princeton NJ
adam@research.nec.com   {...}!princeton!necserve!adam        C:\> alp

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (10/22/90)

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

>I'm using Microsoft Word 5.0 (actually 5.0B) and I'm having trouble
>printing to a network PostScript printer.  The PC talks to a Sun4
>server via PC-NFS.  In order to print a file, I have to print to a
>file (ESC P F), shell to DOS or do Library Run, and do a PC-NFS net
>print of the output file.  Is there a way to do this directly (ESC
>Print Printer)?  Thanks...

You need to 'mount' a network printer.  Talk to your System Administrator
about setting up the access rights.  Then, run 'nfsconf' to add/mount the
printer.  I mount our 'Apple Laserwriter II NT', twice.  As 'lpt2:' for
direct throughput, no mods by PC-NFS, and as 'lpt3:' to wrap text in
Postscript, by PC-NFS.

Word of advice:  Don't setup the printer with a 'hot-key' to start spooling
the print-file to the (physical) printer (ie: on the Sun).  Use either the
time-out option, or the program termination option.  What I have done, is to
use the second option above, and also setup a macro within MS Word to do:
	<esc>lrnet print * lpt2:<enter>
and save it for use with a control-key combination.

I also have a dot-matrix printer connected to 'lpt1:'.

Here are the two macros that I use with MS Word 4:

"Setup_PS.mac^<ctrl S>p"
---------------------------8<-----------------------------
---------------------------8<-----------------------------

This macro sets up MS Word 4 to access a PC-NFS mounted printer.  In this
case a Postsript printer (Apple Laserwriter II NT).

WARNING: This macro should NOT be run when you have multiple document windows
open.  Especially if you are in ZOOM mode.

First it opens a window at line 10, then writes into the new 'doc':
"^<ctrl x> ... LPT2:^<enter>"

Then the whole doc is selected.  The selection is then copied to the glossary
under macro name: "print^<ctrl f8>"  -  use ^^ when creating the Setup macro.
This is to replace the default actions of <ctrl F8> with the extra actions
required to print & start the spooling to the physical printer.

NOTE: Replace "C:\NFS" with the path to your copy of 'NET.exe'.

Next the glossary is saved: "tgs<enter>"
Then the window is closed, without saving the document, and we change both
the printer driver and the printer port.
Be sure to leave MS Word properly, when you have finished with it, so as to
update the 'word.ini' file.

"Setup_DM.mac^<ctrl S>d"
---------------------------8<-----------------------------
---------------------------8<-----------------------------

This macro is to setup to print to a local dot-matrix printer (Toshiba P351),
after having been setup for printing to the network printer.  This un-does
the actions of the "Setup_PS.mac" macro above.

First it removes the <ctrl F8> macro from the glossary, then saves the
glossary.  Next it changes the printer driver and the printer port to that
of the local printer.

I am sorry that this is for MS Word 4, but I don't (at this time) intend to
up-grade to version 5.  I hope you can understand enough of what I have done
to be able to modify the macros to work with the version 5 menus.  You will
need some understanding of the macro language of MS Word 5, as well as the
manuals for PC-NFS.

Good luck.   E-mail me if you need more help.

Brad.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

pilger@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (10/23/90)

In article <Oct.21.15.22.49.1990.8866@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:

>I'm using Microsoft Word 5.0 (actually 5.0B) and I'm having trouble
>printing to a network PostScript printer.  The PC talks to a Sun4
>server via PC-NFS.  In order to print a file, I have to print to a
>file (ESC P F), shell to DOS or do Library Run, and do a PC-NFS net
>print of the output file.  Is there a way to do this directly (ESC
>Print Printer)?  Thanks...
>--

I'm afraid its RTM time again (although in my smug all-know-it-ness, I
can't remember exactly where.)  I believe it is in the application
notes.  They give grueling details of how to edit the postscript
prefix file.  I have done this, and it works.  It even continues to
work for non-networked printers.  I just set the printer to print
after 30 seconds, and everything works fine. (prt -T30 *, print after
5 minutes)

				 Eric Pilger
				 Systems Programmer
				 NASA Infrared Telescope Facility