[comp.os.msdos.apps] DR-DOS 5.0 +Win3 -problems?

LK-AP@finou.oulu.fi (10/04/90)

Hello from Oulu Finland,

 We got DR Dos 5.0 and put in one of our machines;
 - AMI-motherboard 25MHZ 386 4MB
 - HD 143 MB ATID-controller, 65 + 68 MB partitions

 Everything but Windows3 seems to be OK. Problem is, that every now and
 Windows is out of order. Error messages are;"Swapfile is corrupted" or
 "Main grp is corrupted".

 I saw some texts about Win3 and large HD partitions problems. Could our
 difficulties have same roots.

 If You have some thaugts about DR-DOS 5.0 (and Win3) drop a line.

                                Antti Peltonen

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (10/10/90)

> Everything but Windows3 seems to be OK. Problem is, that every now and
> Windows is out of order. Error messages are;"Swapfile is corrupted" or
> "Main grp is corrupted".

     I can only think of two reasons off-hand.

 1)  There might be a virus on your system, because Windows 3 seems to keep
contstant watch on the swapfile, and if a DOS virus changes it, Windows
will, of course, bomb.

2)  I haven't really heard of DR-Dos 5.0 too much, but keep in mind that
WIndows is a microsoft product designed to be used with MS-DOS or PC-DOS.
It might overrride some of the other DOS functions, or use some other
procedure than interrupts to preform I/O tasks.  Perhaps you should try MS-
DOS and see if that helps.

Louis Giliberto

pritchet@susie.cs.scarolina.edu (Ronald W. Pritchett) (10/24/90)

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:

>> Everything but Windows3 seems to be OK. Problem is, that every now and
>> Windows is out of order. Error messages are;"Swapfile is corrupted" or
>> "Main grp is corrupted".

>     I can only think of two reasons off-hand.

> 1)  There might be a virus on your system, because Windows 3 seems to keep
>contstant watch on the swapfile, and if a DOS virus changes it, Windows
>will, of course, bomb.

>2)  I haven't really heard of DR-Dos 5.0 too much, but keep in mind that
>WIndows is a microsoft product designed to be used with MS-DOS or PC-DOS.
>It might overrride some of the other DOS functions, or use some other
>procedure than interrupts to preform I/O tasks.  Perhaps you should try MS-
>DOS and see if that helps.

>Louis Giliberto

DR-DOS 5.0 & WIN3 work fine for me. Check the setup of windows.

Ron

zool135@canterbury (10/26/90)

In article <pritchet.656724449@susie>, pritchet@susie.cs.scarolina.edu (Ronald W. Pritchett) writes:

> louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:
>
>>> Everything but Windows3 seems to be OK. Problem is, that every now and
>>> Windows is out of order. Error messages are;"Swapfile is corrupted" or
>>> "Main grp is corrupted".
>
>>     I can only think of two reasons off-hand.
>
>> 1)  There might be a virus on your system, because Windows 3 seems to keep
>>contstant watch on the swapfile, and if a DOS virus changes it, Windows
>>will, of course, bomb.
>
>>2)  I haven't really heard of DR-Dos 5.0 too much, but keep in mind that
>>WIndows is a microsoft product designed to be used with MS-DOS or PC-DOS.
>>It might overrride some of the other DOS functions, or use some other
>>procedure than interrupts to preform I/O tasks.  Perhaps you should try MS-
>>DOS and see if that helps.
>
>>Louis Giliberto
>
> DR-DOS 5.0 & WIN3 work fine for me. Check the setup of windows.
>
> Ron

I too have tried Dr Dos 5, generally with no problems.  However the 2 areas
which HAVE bombed are: (1) downloading softfonts to a HP laserjet using
either MS Word 5, or Pagemaker running under Windows 2.03.  Perhaps
Microsoft and DR don't get along.  Sorry, no solutions here - I went back
to MS Dos 3.21.  I'd be very interested if anyone has overcome similar
problems because DR Dos seems superior in many ways to MS Dos.

Tom Matheson  (t.matheson@canterbury.ac.nz)