[comp.os.msdos.apps] Polish WordProcessor

KAMINSKI-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (kaminski) (10/28/90)

[Poster requested info on a Polish Word Processor]

One possible alternative may be to use WordPerfect 5.1.  It will print out any
character that a printer will not support as a graphic character.  Therefore,
it can print Hebrew, Greek, Russian, and some Japanese.  I think that character
set 1 (Multinational 1) has all the unique Polish characters  (e.g. crossed "L")
You can easily have the program insert the characters into text by programming
a keyboard definition file that recognizes certain keys as the Polish characters
The drawback is that you will not see all the characters on the screen,
since WordPerfect is limited o standard characters.  You can see it in
the print preview screen and it will give you the output.

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (11/01/90)

In article <12633182822012@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
KAMINSKI-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (kaminski) writes:
>[Poster requested info on a Polish Word Processor]
>
>One possible alternative may be to use WordPerfect 5.1.  It will print out any
>character that a printer will not support as a graphic character.  Therefore,
>it can print Hebrew, Greek, Russian, and some Japanese.  I think that character
>set 1 (Multinational 1) has all the unique Polish characters (e.g. crossed "L")
>The drawback is that you will not see all the characters on the screen,
>since WordPerfect is limited to standard characters.

     If WordPerfect won't do it, ChiWriter will!  ChiWriter is supposed to
be a scientific wordprocessor, but because it's (essentially) true WYSIWIG,
it's an excellent multilingual wordprocessor as well.  The default
keymappings for international character sets even makes sense!  (Unlike
WordPerfect...)

     ChiWriter is unfortunately a little hard to find.  Just in case you
have trouble that way, here's the address of the manufacturer:

     Horstmann Software Design Corporation
     P.O. Box 5039
     San Jose, CA  95150