[comp.os.msdos.apps] Grammer checker for DOS

alan@pluto.dss.com (Alan Warwick) (11/01/90)

Hello -

	I am looking for a grammer and syntax checker that runs under MSDOS.
I will need to do a good amount of writing soon, however being a programmer
my english isn't really as good as it should be. :-(  Please E-mail any
references to products, both public domain, shareware and commercial. I will
be happy to summarize my findings for the net.

						Thanks in advance,

						Alan Warwick
						alan@dss.com
						Datability Software Systems
						New York City
|  Alan Warwick                                   Datability Software Systems |
| alan@doc.dss.com  		                  New York City               |

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/04/90)

In article <4058@pluto.dss.com> alan@pluto.dss.com (Alan Warwick) writes:

>Hello -
>
>	I am looking for a grammer and syntax checker that runs under MSDOS...
                           -------

Alan, you probably want a spelling checker too.  :-)

I've heard that both Grammatik and Sensible Grammar are okay. But be warned that
grammar checkers are still in their infancy--sort of like OCR was several years
ago. They exist, they sorta work--but they're not really up to the job they're
trying to do. May I suggest a book? It's called WRITING WITH STYLE, by John R.
Trimble. It's a small paperback, probably available in the local college book-
store... dark green cover, white title type. It covers everything from tight-
ening your prose and writing a convincing argument to punctuation and so on.
It's also very entertaining to read, unlike nearly every other writing textbook
I can think of.

--Kathy

   Kathy Strong               :  "Welcome to FUBAR Corp., where there's
  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   never enough time to do a job right,
   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :   but always enough time to do it over."