[comp.os.msdos.apps] 3D Graphs

a526@mindlink.UUCP (Brad Murray) (11/15/90)

> gooey@helix.nih.gov writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <627@nih-csl.nih.gov>
>
> Org.  : National Institutes of Health, Bethesda
> Person: Sean Graham
>

>         Seeing this talk about Sigmaplot reminded me that while it is
> a very good scientific graphics package, it will not do one of the
> things we are trying to do: Create 3 axis graphs.
>
>         Does anyone know of a package (add on to Quattro,Lotus,Excel)
> that will create 3D Graphs (not graphs with a "3D-effect"), but true
> 3-axis graphs.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> || Sean N. Graham                                     BIX: sean.graham ||
> || National Institutes of Health gooey@helix.nih.gov   ||
> ||  "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcasting System.  This is just a
> ||  test.  In the event of a real emergency you would most likely be dead."

Microsoft just announced that the new release of Excel (3.0) will manage 3D
surface plots and allow free rotation of all 3D graphs.  Wheee!  :)
--
--------------------+------------------------------+---------------------------
 Brad Murray         |  'I hope you remember,       |------------------#----##-

gooey@helix.nih.gov (Sean Graham) (11/15/90)

	Seeing this talk about Sigmaplot reminded me that while it is
a very good scientific graphics package, it will not do one of the
things we are trying to do: Create 3 axis graphs.

	Does anyone know of a package (add on to Quattro,Lotus,Excel)
that will create 3D Graphs (not graphs with a "3D-effect"), but true
3-axis graphs.

Sean

--
|| Sean N. Graham                                     BIX: sean.graham      ||
|| National Institutes of Health                      gooey@helix.nih.gov   ||
||  "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcasting System.  This is just a   ||
||  test.  In the event of a real emergency you would most likely be dead." ||

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (11/15/90)

In article <627@nih-csl.nih.gov> gooey@helix.nih.gov (Sean Graham) writes:

  [stuff deleted]

>	Does anyone know of a package (add on to Quattro,Lotus,Excel)
>that will create 3D Graphs (not graphs with a "3D-effect"), but true
>3-axis graphs.

You might try PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>LASER34A.ZIP through
              PD1:<MSDOS.PLOT>LASER34E.ZIP

This is a stand-alone plotting software package that does 2-d, 3-d, and
scatter plots.  It doesn't generate the points that it plots (thats your job)
but it does accept simple ASCII text files which you can generate with
Lotus, Quattro, Excel, etc.  It generates output for herc, CGA, EGA, VGA,
epson 9-pin, epson 24-pin, ibm proprinter, and laserjet 2.

If you're not in a hurry you might want to wait a week or two since the author
is planning on releasing version 3.5 soon.  New features include support of
PCX file format (so you can modify the plots with your favorite paint program)
and support for laserjet 3 RLE data compression format.

DISCLAIMER:  The author is a friend and co-worker of mine. I cannot possibly
             be impartial. I've also written software to support it and
             therefore have a vested interest in its promotion.
--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

manderse@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mark Andersen) (11/16/90)

Axum does 3D surface and contour plots; I don't know about 3D Cartesian
plots (i.e., space curves). It also does bar charts, 2D function plots
scatter plots, etc. I haven't used Axum, this is all from their literature.
If you call the makers of Axum (TriMetrix, 444 NE Ravenna Blvd., Ste. 210-PA,
Seattle, WA 98115, 800-548-5653, ext 544), they will send you a free
brochure. By the way, Axum was written by Lee Edlefsen, one of the two
authors of the original version of GAUSS. It uses the same Scientific
Endeavors GraphiC routines as GAUSS graphics.

Mark Andersen                   manderse@orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
UC Irvine, Irvine, CA, 92717