[comp.os.msdos.apps] XWindows for PS2 Model 70

cs325cm@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (mick murphy) (11/09/90)

Has anyone heard of XWindows for the IBM PS2 family?  What
OS is necessary to run it?

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (11/09/90)

X11 works just fine on IBM's Unix: AIX. But I can not comment on the Motif
interface, as I still have not recieved it. Along with my AIX, I recieved
a copy of a DOS X-Windows program. It claims to work under DOS with the
Ungerman-Bass and the 3-com ethernet cards, but I have never tried this
program (I have a W. D. card on my DOS machine).

If you are University related, you may be able to get Poritions of AIX
absolutly free, and other portions at minimal cost. Other than this, ANY
X11 program for the PC should work fine on a PS/2.

hh
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

c186cn@volga.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Corlett) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov8.224043.20692@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs325cm@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (mick murphy) writes:
>Has anyone heard of XWindows for the IBM PS2 family?  What
>OS is necessary to run it?

you need unix to run XWindows....Get SCO UNIX or something and they'll provide (sell you)
a copy of X Windows....

IBM's AIX also supports XWindows as well as other unix os's for PC's

Andrew "currently running X11" Corlett
corlett@cory.berkeley.edu

EAF@.Prime.COM (11/16/90)

You do not have to have Unix to run X-Windows Server on PS/2.

You will need an Ethernet, TCP-IP or SLIP driver and a version of
X-Windows that runs on top of your transport.

For example Locus's XSIGHT product, Graphic System Science's PC-XView
and a number of other products run on DOS.  Other products will run
in Windows 3.0 and do a fair job of puting an X-Windows server under
the Windows 3.0 environment.

Edward A. Feustel                |     efeustel@primerd.prime.com
Prime Computer                   |     fax: (508)-879-9098
500 Old Connecticut Path         |     phone: (508)-620-2800 x 3846
Framingham, Ma. 01701-4548       |

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (11/16/90)

In article <8916@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c186cn@volga.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Andrew
Corlett) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.224043.20692@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs325cm@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
>(mick murphy) writes:
>>Has anyone heard of XWindows for the IBM PS2 family?  What
>>OS is necessary to run it?
>you need unix to run XWindows...

You will also be able to get Desqview/X real soon now.  It runs under
MS-DOS (or in Mick's case, PC-DOS if he has a True Blue).  Does anyone
know if there's anything out there that will run under OS/2?  (I would
be surprised if Desqview did, but then I really don't know.)

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/16/90)

> You will also be able to get Desqview/X real soon now.  It runs under
> MS-DOS (or in Mick's case, PC-DOS if he has a True Blue).  Does anyone
> know if there's anything out there that will run under OS/2?  (I would
> be surprised if Desqview did, but then I really don't know.)

I seriously doubt that there will be an X version for OS/2, given that it
already has a rather complete GUI (Presentation Manager).

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (11/17/90)

I have a copy of "IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS" Version 1.1, part number
5709-029 (I think). BUT, since it only supports the Ungermann-Bass
3Com ethernet cards (and I have a WD) I can't evealuate it. But that might
be an option. If you work for a University that has an IBM agreement, it
could cost you little to nothing.

hh
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2
Internet:    hhaas@{gtri01|rmadsun}.gatech.edu hh2@prism.gatech.edu
--

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (11/19/90)

In article <11663@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo)
writes:
>I seriously doubt that there will be an X version for OS/2, given that it
>already has a rather complete GUI (Presentation Manager).

If X were just a GUI, I might buy that as a legitimate reason not to
bother.  However, X allows things like running a program on one machine
and displaying the output on another.  Can OS/2 do that?  Furthermore, since
large machines will never run OS/2, X presents certain portability
advantages.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/19/90)

1)  You don't know if "large machines" will never run OS/2.  In fact, no one
does, since Bill Gates and Jim Whatever-his-last-name-is-in-Hursley-England
haven't revealed their companies' long term strategy for OS/2.

2)  Maybe OS/2 doesn't have the server/client architecture that X has, BUT
if the rumor that someone mentioned in one of these blasted newsgroups is true,
then I should ask you this:  can X emulate OS/2 PM?

X is just a GUI, albiet a complete one as well.  The ability to run a program
on one machine and display its output on another is just an effect of its
design.