[comp.os.msdos.apps] PC Wordperfect V5.1 Problem

bgeer@esunix.UUCP (Bob Geer) (11/13/89)

From article <233600001@inmet>, by robw@inmet.inmet.com:
> I'm having problems keeping Wordperfect V5.1 running on a Novell network.
> Anybody have any hints?  I'm getting pretty tired of re-installing WP!

Have you tried WP customer installation support (800)533-9605?
(7am-6pm MST M-F)  This and a whole slew of support numbers (including
hearing impaired, fax, & bbs) are listed on the back of their
newsletter, which you should be receiving if you registered your copy
of the program.

(I don't work for WP, I just use (& own) it.)
--
<> Bob Geer        <> at decwrl!esunix!bgeer or utah-cs!esunix!bgeer  <>
<>    Bear-person  <> speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks <>

robw@inmet.inmet.com (11/12/90)

Hi all,

I'm having problems keeping Wordperfect V5.1 running on a Novell network.
Specifically, Wordperfect consistently complains that it can't find
WP.FIL.  WP seems to install correctly but randomly complains about
the file. (Once it complains, it is all over - WP really bugs out.)
I've tried everything I can think of, from slowing the computer down to
environment variables vs. .ENV settings.

Installing WP on a standalone 386 even gives the same error now!

Anybody have any hints?  I'm getting pretty tired of re-installing WP!

Thanks!!

#! Robert Whiteside       Intermetrics, Inc.     robw@inmet.inmet.com
#! (617) 661-1840         733 Concord Avenue     Cambridge MA 02138
#! VAX Systems Manager

par@hq.af.mil (Paul A. Reitelbach) (11/14/90)

You might try, if you already have not, loading WP 5.1 from a directory say
wp51 and only running it in that directory.  Create a path to this directory
where the wp.exe file is.  The file you are having trouble with is the file
WordPerfect uses to save its defaults in.  If this does not work I might have
a few other ideas, let me know?
--
Paul A. Reitelbach                  *   There's a way to do it better -
Computer Programmer/Analyst         *   find it.

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (11/15/90)

In article <233600001@inmet> robw@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>I'm having problems keeping Wordperfect V5.1 running on a Novell network.
>Specifically, Wordperfect consistently complains that it can't find
>WP.FIL.  WP seems to install correctly but randomly complains about
>the file. (Once it complains, it is all over - WP really bugs out.)

I strongly recommend that you call WP's customer service line.  I'm afraid
that I don't have the Network number on me (there are several topic-specific
help lines).  However, if you call them, I think you'll find them very
helpful.

Good luck.

Gail

--
Respond to claris!wet!gail@ames.arc.nasa.gov
        or gail@wet.UUCP

andreap@ms.uky.edu (Peach) (11/15/90)

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:

>In article <233600001@inmet> robw@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>>I'm having problems keeping Wordperfect V5.1 running on a Novell network.
>>Specifically, Wordperfect consistently complains that it can't find
>>WP.FIL.  WP seems to install correctly but randomly complains about
>>the file. (Once it complains, it is all over - WP really bugs out.)

>I strongly recommend that you call WP's customer service line.  I'm afraid
>that I don't have the Network number on me (there are several topic-specific
>help lines).  However, if you call them, I think you'll find them very
>helpful.

Word Perfect Corporation:

(800) 541-5096 Features
(800) 541-5170 Laser Printers
(800) 541-5160 Dot Matrix Printers
(800) 541-5097 Daisy Wheel Printers
(800) 533-9605 Installation
(800) 321-3383 Graphics
(800) 321-3389 Networks
(800) 541-5129 Lables, columns, merges

Dialup:  (801) 225-4414  1200/2400 N81

Harold Peach, Internet: hgpeach@ca.uky.edu
Please use above address for replies.  This is my wife's account.

gribble@ogre (11/16/90)

Have you flagged it SRO?

* Steve Gribble  (812) 855-9172/7629         gribble@cica.cica.indiana.edu
* Systems Manager, Inst. of Social Research  swg@iumail.ucs.indiana.edu
* Dept. of Sociology, Indiana University     gribble@iubacs

robw@inmet.inmet.com (11/19/90)

It turns out that the calls to expanded memory were failing
and this was making WP sick.  I used the /ne qualifier and
now it acts normally.

Thanks to all who sent mail!