[comp.os.msdos.apps] SPINRITE

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (KimBob) (10/24/90)

Hi,

I got a hold of a SPINRITE brochure some weeks ago, and I'm
wondering if it's really worth buying it.  If anyone has experience
with SPINRITE, please e-mail yourr opinions to rkim@ucsd.edu.  Are
there any comparable programs out there?

Thanks in advance.
--

Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (10/24/90)

[poster asks about Spinrite]
I continue to use Spinrite sporadically and it seems to work. However,
it takes a long time for a HD of any size 5-20 hours. A faster approach
is to make a good backup (or two), do a low level format, fdisk,
and restore the files (from Fastback Plus, or tape etc.) I can do
the whole process in 60-70 minutes for a 40 meg HD.

Of course, with Spinrite, you can recover good portions of tracks
nominally marked bad and get extra disk space.

Finally, Spinrite created a problem with a disk that had some track
0 problems. It claimed to fix these problems (they were in DOS sector
around 50-55 I think) but a few weeks later the disk became unavail-
able to DOS. Nothing helped except repeating the low level format
without Spinrite, and typing in the bad track map. I'm not sure
that you can tell Spinrite to selectively reclaim good sectors of
bad track, but not to do this in the system area of the disk.

--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (10/25/90)

>[poster asks about Spinrite]

The new Norton Utilities v5.0 includes CALIBRATE, which performs interleave
change and low-level format renewal.  I haven't had time to try it out yet,
and I don't know how it compares to SpinRite.  I don't think it restores
unnecessarily-marked bad sector to use, but I might be wrong.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/28/90)

In article <13509@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (KimBob) writes:

>I got a hold of a SPINRITE brochure some weeks ago, and I'm
>wondering if it's really worth buying it.  If anyone has experience
>with SPINRITE, please e-mail yourr opinions to rkim@ucsd.edu.  Are
>there any comparable programs out there?

I've used Spinrite and two other programs that do a non-destructive low-
level format of MS-DOS hard disks.  Spinrite works, yes, although (as with
any product that tinkers with your system at that level) it can cause
problems on some untested hardware.  In my experience, Gibson Research
is quite good about testing it, though, and has thorough documentation
on what sorts of disks it works on and what disks it doesn't.  Further,
Spinrite will refuse to run on a disk it doesn't recognize.

Another product that does the same thing is Gazelle Systems' Optune.  I
use Optune on my machines and prefer it, partially because it doesn't
attempt to restore factory-bad disk sectors (which can cause problems)
and partly because it includes a disk defragmenter as well.  Further,
Optune's disk defragmenter is by an order of magnitude faster than
anything else I've ever tried.  It defrags *and packs* my 100 megger in
less than four minutes.  Norton's Speed Disk takes about fifty minutes
to do the same thing.

The third product I know has a low-level non-destructive hard disk formatter
is the Norton Utilities, version 5.0.  I've never tried this utility, so
I don't know what to tell you about it.  But Norton is a good package
to have for other reasons, so maybe you'd like to try it.

Cathy
Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM

fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana) (10/29/90)

I tried spinrite, which seems like a pretty good program, but apparently it
doesn't support SCSI drives, of which I have two.  Is there any
non-destructive low-level formatter out there that does?

Fred Quintana

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (10/31/90)