[comp.os.msdos.apps] ftp,mirror and kermit

dwright@gara.une.oz.au ( HIST) (11/17/90)

I have a problem using my Amstrad IBM portable's communication
package Mirror.  I have transferred ASCII files 100s of times,
but have failed in my attempt to download a .COM (binary, I guess)
program.  Having been a good boy and read the instructions about
FTP on the net, I gather I am not giving the correct Receive File
instruction through Mirror, but the documentation in the manual
does not seem to help. (Alternatively, I may be a little thick....)

If anyone out there using Mirror has transferred program files
successfully, would you mind telling me the command sequence?

I have PROGRAM.COM on my mainframe directory. To get it to my
PC, I've been typing kermit -s PROGRAM.COM at the prompt,
getting the signal to receive through MIRROR, but of course,
if I use the command RK, it will simply come over as text.  It
*looks* OK, but it won't run (not surprising!)

So, how?

Any advice gratefully received.

Denis Wright
dwright@gara.une.oz.au

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (11/19/90)

In article <4712@gara.une.oz.au> dwright@gara.une.oz.au ( HIST) writes:
>I have a problem using my Amstrad IBM portable's communication
>package Mirror.  I have transferred ASCII files 100s of times,
>but have failed in my attempt to download a .COM (binary, I guess)
>program.  Having been a good boy and read the instructions about
>FTP on the net, I gather I am not giving the correct Receive File
>instruction through Mirror, but the documentation in the manual
>does not seem to help. (Alternatively, I may be a little thick....)
>
>If anyone out there using Mirror has transferred program files
>successfully, would you mind telling me the command sequence?
>
>I have PROGRAM.COM on my mainframe directory. To get it to my
>PC, I've been typing kermit -s PROGRAM.COM at the prompt,
>getting the signal to receive through MIRROR, but of course,
>if I use the command RK, it will simply come over as text.  It
                                                      ^^^^
>*looks* OK, but it won't run (not surprising!)
>
>So, how?
>
>Any advice gratefully received.
>
>Denis Wright
>dwright@gara.une.oz.au

Kermit generally has two file transfer modes; BINARY and TEXT.
Most comm packages allow you to specify a default mode. I generally
specify BINARY as the default mode primarily because you can send
either text of binary files under BINARY but TEXT mode trys to do
some conversion of certain characters (particularly, CR -> CR/NL
and vice versa depending on the computers involved.)

I'm not familiar with MIRROR, but if it has a full KERMIT implementation
you *should* be able to set the file transfer mode

Good Luck

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)
(jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov)

finfrock@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Scott Finfrock) (11/20/90)

In article <4712@gara.une.oz.au> dwright@gara.une.oz.au ( HIST) writes:
>I have a problem using my Amstrad IBM portable's communication
>package Mirror.  I have transferred ASCII files 100s of times,
>but have failed in my attempt to download a .COM (binary, I guess)
>program.  Having been a good boy and read the instructions about
>FTP on the net, I gather I am not giving the correct Receive File
>instruction through Mirror, but the documentation in the manual
>does not seem to help. (Alternatively, I may be a little thick....)
>
>If anyone out there using Mirror has transferred program files
>successfully, would you mind telling me the command sequence?

As I recall the communications package that came with my
(prometheus) modem was called Mirror.  I eventually dumped it
because I had so many problems with it.  Now I use straight
Mskermit on my pc.

A previous poster mentioned setting the binary mode switch and that
should work.  If it doesn't an alternative would be to uuencode the
file on the mainframe, send it over as text, and then uudecode it
on the pc.

--
       					  -Scott Finfrock-

My E-mail address is:  finfrock@ncis.tis.llnl.gov
But actually I'm in:   Richland, Washington

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (11/26/90)

To send binary files with kermit, use the -i option, e.g.,

	kermit -i -s foo