[comp.os.msdos.apps] VoiceMail systems for PC's

jmbj@grebyn.com (Jim Bittman) (11/28/90)

I seem to remember seeing some ads recently about PC add-in hardware
and software for a Voice Mail system.  We're unhappy with our current
voice mail service (it goes down alot, short messages, limited space,
etc.).

If anyone knows of companies or products, I would be very grateful.
I will gladly post summaries if there is interest.

Thanks!
Jim Bittman, jmbj@grebyn.com

cab3@engr10.uark.edu (Chad A. Bersche) (11/29/90)

jmbj@grebyn.com (Jim Bittman) writes:

>I seem to remember seeing some ads recently about PC add-in hardware
>and software for a Voice Mail system.  We're unhappy with our current
>voice mail service (it goes down alot, short messages, limited space,
>etc.).

>If anyone knows of companies or products, I would be very grateful.
>I will gladly post summaries if there is interest.

If I recall correctly, there was something very similar to what you are
apparently looking for outlined in one of the most recent DAK catalog.
I believe it was an add-in board for a PC that had a modem, and voice
messaging capability (for up to 999 mailboxes I believe).  Unfortunately,
I don't have the number with me right now, but if you would be
interested in something like this, I'm sure I can get the number for you.

Hope this helps you in your search.

cab3@engr.uark.edu  -  Chad A. Bersche  Univ. of Arkansas Fayetteville CSEG
Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?
							- Arthur Dent

jih@ox.com (John Hritz) (11/29/90)

	The folks you may be looking for are called the Compleat PC.  These
guys sell fax boards, scanners and voice mail systems.  Check the advertisers
index of Byte or PC Magazine.
     John I. Hritz                               Photons have mass?!
     jih@ox.com                                       I didn't know they
     313-930-9126                                             were catholic!

mbarry@isis.cs.du.edu (Marshall Barry) (12/06/90)

In article <23599@grebyn.com> jmbj@grebyn.com (Jim Bittman) writes:
>I seem to remember seeing some ads recently about PC add-in hardware
>and software for a Voice Mail system.  We're unhappy with our current
>voice mail service (it goes down alot, short messages, limited space,
>etc.).
>
>If anyone knows of companies or products, I would be very grateful.
>I will gladly post summaries if there is interest.
>
>Thanks!

  There are two (relatively) inexpensive systems with which _I_ am
familiar.
  Watson and CAM

  Of the two, CAM (The "Complete Answering Machine") seems to be the better
of the two, most flexible, and best supported.  It also integrates into
the "Complete Fax" product, its scanner, etc.

  They're based out of (I think) Sunnyvale, but I don't have the docs in
front of me at the moment.

  Oh, what do *I* use (grin)?  I use an obsolete board called (yep)
SAM (The Smart Answering Machine).  You can't get it any more...

// Mb //

--
|  <mbarry@nyx.cs.du.edu> is also <Marshall.Barry@z1.n104.f169.FidoNet.Org> |

ericr@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Eric Ross) (12/11/90)

The Switchboard product from DAK appears to be a version of the
CAM product(at least it has a message that says "checking CAM database")

Eric Ross
ericr@hpvcper.vcd.hp.com