[comp.os.msdos.apps] Optune eats my HD

explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) (12/13/90)

Every time I run optune to verify my disk hard disk, it destroys my boot
sector.  My controller believes it has a 1024 cyl by 8 head drive, which it
does, but my BIOS thinks it only has a "type 1" drive: 306 cyl by 4 head.

After selecting "verify drive" with "bit 3 test" option, my controller thinks
it has a 306 x 4 drive also!

Are there any drive utilities that will not verify but not destroy my hard
drive?

Also, does anyone have a boot track backup utility?  :)

        Michael Graff, Student at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
   explorer@iastate.edu   ga.mlg@isumvs.bitnet   gamlg@ccvax.iastate.edu

mec@garnet.berkeley.edu (Michael Chastain) (12/14/90)

In article <explorer.661050840@hobbes.cc.iastate.edu> explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) writes:
>Every time I run optune to verify my disk hard disk, it destroys my boot
>sector.  My controller believes it has a 1024 cyl by 8 head drive, which it
>does, but my BIOS thinks it only has a "type 1" drive: 306 cyl by 4 head.

What version of Optune are you running?  I have 1.3 here.

Try calling Gazelle Software at 1-800-233-3083.

There is a pirated version of Optune on some BBS's.  I have seen watched
this version eat the directory sectors of several disk drives.  If you
have this version, well, you should call Gazelle and order a legit
up-to-date copy.  And if you DO have a legit copy, then you've paid for
the support, so go use it!

Michael Chastain
mec@garnet.berkeley.edu
"He who dies with the most FRIENDS wins."