[comp.os.msdos.apps] WP51 Outline Mode ???

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (12/07/90)

I'm trying to do something and not entirely sure if Word Perfect 5.1
can do it.  The docs are a bit confusing to me on this part.  I'm
trying to create an outline where I can collapse it to outline style
such as:

    1  Intro
    2  Setup
          2.1  More
          2.2  Much More
    3  Ending

or expand it to display the text within.  It would be nice to be
able to manipulate the position of the outline items and look at
it as a whole, then expand it and work on the individual text.
I know I can use included files for each topic entry and edit them
individually, but would prefer the collapse/expand method.  Any
ideas?
--

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (12/15/90)

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

>trying to create an outline where I can collapse it to outline style
>such as:

>    1  Intro
>    2  Setup
>          2.1  More
>          2.2  Much More
>    3  Ending

>or expand it to display the text within.

WP doesn't really support this kind of thing, but you can get pretty
much the right effect with the Master Document feature.  Put your
headings in the master doc, and make each piece of text a separate
subdoc.  Then expanding or compressing the master doc has the effect
you want.  Note that this does *not* let you *selectively* hide
sections: it lets you have all or nothing.

For more serious outlining capabilities, try the excellent shareware
product PC-Outline.

YTHNMADD@MTUS5.BITNET (Noel Maddy) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec7.152146.20876@infonode.ingr.com>, fordke@infonode.ingr.com
(Keith Ford x8614) says:

>I'm trying to do something and not entirely sure if Word Perfect 5.1
>can do it.  The docs are a bit confusing to me on this part.  I'm
>trying to create an outline where I can collapse it to outline style

.
WordPerfect does not directly support this type of thing, but I suppose
you could make some macros to simulate it.  If you have the option, you
may wish to look at Microsoft Word.  It has a very intuitive method
of dealing with expandable outlines.  The only strangeness comes in
the mapping of cursor keys to motions in the outline, and the
separate outline modes for entry and moving blocks.
Noel Maddy                               ythnmadd@mtus5.bitnet