[comp.os.msdos.apps] Future of PC and Mac flight simulators?

clear@cavebbs.gen.nz (Charlie Lear) (12/16/90)

In article <204@nddsun1.sps.mot.com> waters@darla.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) writes:
>}I'd like to set up some local FS4 scenery disks, using info garnered from
>}topographical maps and observation. What is the procedure for creating
>}FS4-compatible scenery files? Is there a utility or textfile somewhere?
>You can purchase an "FS4 Scenery Editor". Very few S/W stores carry
>anything other than FS4 though. If you find one that carries scenery disks,
>I would love to complete my collection.

I've only ever seen five scenery disks. I've never heard of the editor.

>THe scenery editor is nice, but there is a LOT of scenery in the U.S. and
>having Sublogic do the hard work is well worth the price of the disks IF I
>can find them!

Umm... ahem... for me, "local" scenery disks mean New Zealand... like around
7500km from San Fransisco, in a south-westerly direction... I don't think
SubLogic would be too keen to rush an NZ scenery disk into production!
If you can get me any more details on the editor I'd be grateful.
Charlie "The Bear" Lear | clear@cavebbs.gen.nz | Kawasaki Z750GT  DoD#0221
The Cave MegaBBS  +64 4 643429  V32 | PO Box 2009, Wellington, New Zealand

davet@tsdiag.ccur.com (Dave Tiller N2KAU) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec16.093626.25730@cavebbs.gen.nz> clear@cavebbs.gen.nz (Charlie Lear) writes:
I'd like to set up some local FS4 scenery disks, using info garnered from
topographical maps and observation. What is the procedure for creating
FS4-compatible scenery files? Is there a utility or textfile somewhere?
I would love to complete my collection.
I've only ever seen five scenery disks. I've never heard of the editor.

>>THe scenery editor is nice, but there is a LOT of scenery in the U.S. and
>>having Sublogic do the hard work is well worth the price of the disks IF I
>>can find them!

There are supposedly 7 scenery disks from sublogic.  The editor is sometimes
bound along with the new plane disk, (which includes a new plane editor! Very
powerful!) This package set me back about $40.  You can alter the terrain
as you see fit, and can add airports, lights, shrubbery, buildings, bridges,
and navaids as well.  This is a very nice addition to the package. The
new planes include a 747-400, Beechcraft Starship, and a seaplane. The
instrument panel is new for the 747-400 (read complicated!). I use the
simulator back to back with Tracon II, which also has available alternate
scenery/sector disks.  This is a helluva combination!
--
David E. Tiller         davet@tsdiag.ccur.com  | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-5952      Ph: (201) 870-4119 (w) | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117