[comp.os.msdos.apps] Text-based Window libraries - opinions?

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (12/09/90)

I'm looking for text-based window libraries for a database project.
Any suggestions for things to look out for, or things to avoid?

The libraries that are currently on my list as 'probably good' are:

	C-Scape
	C-Worthy
	Vitamin C

Does anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations?

Thanks,

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

colin@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Colin Canfield) (12/19/90)

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:

>I'm looking for text-based window libraries for a database project.
>Any suggestions for things to look out for, or things to avoid?

>The libraries that are currently on my list as 'probably good' are:

>	C-Scape
>	C-Worthy
>	Vitamin C

>Does anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations?

>Thanks,

>--
>Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
>Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

I doing development work using the TCXL libraries. These are very powerful
and appear to give all required functions. As well as text window handling
they handle menus, forms, XMS, EMS, mice,printer support... They also have
the advantage of being availlable for various compilers and platforms,
they come with complete source, and have a no cost runtime.

There address is 1657 The Firways Suite 101 Jenkintown PA 19046 USA.

The cost is around $50.

Colin Canfield.

jimmy_t@verifone.com (12/21/90)

In article <680@riegel.prosys.se>, ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
> I'm looking for text-based window libraries for a database project.
> Any suggestions for things to look out for, or things to avoid?
>
> The libraries that are currently on my list as 'probably good' are:
>
> 	C-Scape
> 	C-Worthy
> 	Vitamin C

There are lots more out there. One of the things that seems important
to me the the degree of CASE support in the product.  I know C-SCAPE
and C-Worthy both have interactive screen design tools available.

Some packages also include bultin database support.  Probably the most complete
in this regard is JAM from JYACC - using their screen designer you can build a
complete application including the database interface without writing any code
if you don't have really unique processing requirements - if you do you can
write C functions to provide for it.  JAM is available for PC's, UNIX, and
VAX VMS.

The last Compuserve thread on this subject concluded that Vermont Views
was the best library - They have a unique guarantee - try it as
long as you wish and if you ever become unhappy just send it
back for a full refund.  They also support several systems
in addition to PC's, VAX VMS for sure and maybe UNIX.
Their documentation must be seen to be believed - its nice.

There are also some packages that are starting to take a more
object oriented approach.

	MEWEL from Magma is a text based implementation of MicroSoft Windows
	has the same calls and supposed to support easy migration
	of applications to/from MicroSoft Windows.  The author,
	Marc Adler written several article in the Microsoft Journal
	recently - No real CASE support in this package.

        Instant Windows from WINSOFT is package with a  interactive
        prototyper/screen designer that will generate the C source code for a
        program implementing the your screen and data validation.  You just add
        any unique logic.  The Library interface and generated program are done
        with a object oriented-message passing style - It supports MS-DOS Text
        mode applications as well as being able to generate real MicroSoft
        Windows applications, UNIX support is promised in the future.

	Formation Desktop from Aspen Scientific is a
	package similar to WINSOFT but that
	in addition to PC's also runs on UNIX and VAX VMS systems.

If you are using C++ there are a number of packages starting to
appear as class libaries for C++.  The ZINC library is been
getting a lot of good press in this regard.

Good sources of information:

	Dr. Dobbs Journal
	The C Users Journal
	The C Gazette

None of the packages I've mentioned have any runtime royalaties.

|  James H. Thompson                 |   jimmy_t@verifone.com    (Internet) |
|  VeriFone Inc.                     |   uunet!verifone!jimmy_t  (UUCP)     |
|  100 Kahelu Avenue                 |   808-623-2911            (Phone)    |
|  Mililani, HI 96789                |                                      |