[comp.os.msdos.apps] archiving under MSDOS and UNIX

georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) (12/20/90)

My problem:

I need to archive files under UNIX, but then transfer the archive to MSDOS
and be able to uncompress it there.

My question:

Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot
do - at least not the version I got).

COMPRESS isn't suitable for my purpose since it just compresses single files
without binding them together to a large archive.

Thanks in advance
                     Georg

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (12/20/90)

In article <11784@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) writes:
>Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
>operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
>UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot
>do - at least not the version I got).

You can use lharc.  The version that's the most current--last
time I looked several months ago--is 1.02.  It should be
available via uunet.uu.net or you can use the ARCHIE archive
server at McGill University.  lharc for UNIX has an option
flag for converting text to and from UNIX and MS-DOS.

If you have problems locating lharc, I'd be happy to send you a
uuencoded copy.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/20/90)

In article <11784@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) writes:
:
>I need to archive files under UNIX, but then transfer the archive to MSDOS
>and be able to uncompress it there.
:
>Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
>operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
>UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot

Yes, certainly.  Both ARC and LHARC (and hopefully soon ZIP) can do
what you want.  You can download the MsDos versions from practically
any BBS and many ftp sites by anonymous ftp.  If you use uwasa.fi
archives see the /pc/pd2 directory.  For the Unix version see the
/unix/ts directory at uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

mallsop@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (12/20/90)

In article <11784@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) writes:
>My problem:
>I need to archive files under UNIX, but then transfer the archive to MSDOS
>and be able to uncompress it there.
>

>My question:
>
>Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
>operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
>UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot
>do - at least not the version I got).

I'm sorry to delete stuff- my mailer won't let anything out unless there is
more new than old text.

The TAR program is exactly what you need.  GNUTAR works very well on MSDOS and
reads and writes UNIX tar files without any problems I've found yet.  It will
restore the entire directory structure without a problem.  It handles invalid
DOS names.

I'd tell you where to get it, but I've lost the GNU ftp site name.  If anyone
can shed light on this.......

Seasons greetings,
+Mark.

 Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
 email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory
 Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592  / \      Macquarie University, Australia
 Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433   |   This one goes up to 11.....
--

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (12/21/90)

In article <11784@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) writes:
>My problem:
>
>I need to archive files under UNIX, but then transfer the archive to MSDOS
>and be able to uncompress it there.
>

>My question:
>
>Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
>operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
>UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot
>do - at least not the version I got).
>
>COMPRESS isn't suitable for my purpose since it just compresses single files
>without binding them together to a large archive.

Why not use COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS and TAR together, i have both of those program for MS-DOS and UNIX.

You can find does program at SIMTEL i think.

				Gunnar Dahlstrom
			Chalmers University of Technology
			    Div. Building Technology
			   412 96 Gothenbourg, Sveden
			E-Mail: dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/21/90)

In article <940@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:
>In article <11784@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> georgm@danae.atmos.colostate.edu (Georg Mayr) writes:
>>My problem:
>>I need to archive files under UNIX, but then transfer the archive to MSDOS
>>and be able to uncompress it there.
>>

>>My question:
>>
>>Are there programs that produce archives that are compatible for both
>>operating systems (i.e. can handle the difference between line-feed under
>>UNIX and line-feed+carriage return in MSDOS, something that eg ZOO cannot
>>do - at least not the version I got).
>>

>I'm sorry to delete stuff- my mailer won't let anything out unless there is
>more new than old text.
>
>The TAR program is exactly what you need.  GNUTAR works very well on MSDOS and
>reads and writes UNIX tar files without any problems I've found yet.  It will
>restore the entire directory structure without a problem.  It handles invalid
>DOS names.
>
>I'd tell you where to get it, but I've lost the GNU ftp site name.  If anyone
>can shed light on this.......
>
>Seasons greetings,
>+Mark.

The entire MS-DOS gnuish project is being archived at ocf.berkeley.edu.

Unfortunately it seems to not be reachable from my site right now.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dick Reichenbach) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec20.203302.5232@afs-news.utc.chalmers.se> dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se () writes:
>Why not use COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS and TAR together, i have both of those program for MS-DOS and UNIX.

This question is slightly off the beaten path, but will TAR work on compiled
binaries.  I have TAR, but I have only used it on text files.  What about
shell archives, will they handle binaries?

I suppose if worse became worst, one could uuencode the binary file, and then
TAR it.
--
  DDDDDD             k                | reich@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
  D     D  `   cccc  k  kk   (^8      | Dick C. Reichenbach

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec20.052017.25169@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
$You can use lharc.  The version that's the most current--last
$time I looked several months ago--is 1.02.  It should be
$available via uunet.uu.net or you can use the ARCHIE archive
$server at McGill University.  lharc for UNIX has an option
$flag for converting text to and from UNIX and MS-DOS.

   The most recent version for Unix I have is 0.03 Beta; the most recent
copy for DOS I've seen is 1.13d.  If you have trouble finding either of
the above, drop me a line and I can email the Unix source and/or the DOS
executable.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec22.184424.3313@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dick Reichenbach) writes:
>In article <1990Dec20.203302.5232@afs-news.utc.chalmers.se> dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se () writes:
>>Why not use COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS and TAR together, i have both of those program for MS-DOS and UNIX.
>>
>This question is slightly off the beaten path, but will TAR work on compiled
>binaries.  I have TAR, but I have only used it on text files.  What about
>shell archives, will they handle binaries?
>
>I suppose if worse became worst, one could uuencode the binary file, and then
>TAR it.

TAR takes all files, binaries and text and other (?) files. So you dont need to uudecode yours binaries :-))