[comp.os.msdos.apps] Desqview and 4Dos

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (01/24/91)

> dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu writes:
>
> I noticed while reading through the Desqview documentation that
> it needs to have command.com in the root directory of the boot
> disk. Does this mean that it won't work with 4Dos? Just thought
> I'd check before I ordered my copy.

DESQview and 4DOS work great together - I've been using them both for some time
now.
--

+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| cthulhu@{arkham.UUCP|arkham.wimsey.bc.ca}      | He who has had has been  |

dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (01/25/91)

I noticed while reading through the Desqview documentation that
it needs to have command.com in the root directory of the boot
disk. Does this mean that it won't work with 4Dos? Just thought
I'd check before I ordered my copy.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Larry Hastings) (01/25/91)

+-In article <1991Jan24.191946.1@cbrown.claremont.edu>,
| dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) wrote:
|
| I noticed while reading through the Desqview documentation that
| it needs to have command.com in the root directory of the boot
| disk. Does this mean that it won't work with 4Dos? Just thought
| I'd check before I ordered my copy.

+----------

No, DESQview works fine with 4Dos.  However, DESQview appears to pay no
heed to the COMSPEC environment variable, which is why it needs COMMAND.COM
in the root directory of the boot disk.

You'd think that you'd have complete control of whether DESQview used
COMMAND.COM or 4DOS.COM, but that's not true.  You can change the "Big Dos"
and "D1" and "D3" programs to run 4DOS.COM (and in fact I recommend it) but
those are not the only places that DESQview will load a command processor.
You see, if the program you're loading doesn't have a complete path specified,
or doesn't have a .com or .exe extension, DESQview loads a command processor.
Since it apparently doesn't pay attention to COMSPEC, it always goes to
COMMAND.COM in the root of the hard disk.

So, to answer your question, it works just dandy, except that you won't always
be using 4DOS.  Now that you've brought the subject up, I think I'll call it in
to QOS technical support.  I'm sure they've heard it before, but it can't hurt
to let them hear it again.
--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"It's Fonzie with Tourette's syndrome!" --Dennis Miller on Andrew Dice Clay

ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.191946.1@cbrown.claremont.edu> dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
}I noticed while reading through the Desqview documentation that
}it needs to have command.com in the root directory of the boot
}disk. Does this mean that it won't work with 4Dos? Just thought
}I'd check before I ordered my copy.

DESQview works just fine with 4DOS as the primary shell here....  Versions 1.x
required COMMAND.COM in the directory from which DV was invoked, but that was
a long time ago.  Versions 2.00 through the current 2.32 will use COMSPEC to
find the shell.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.191946.1@cbrown.claremont.edu> dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

>   I noticed while reading through the Desqview documentation that
>   it needs to have command.com in the root directory of the boot
>   disk. Does this mean that it won't work with 4Dos? Just thought
>   I'd check before I ordered my copy.

I solved this issue by moving command.com out of the root directory, then I
copied 4dos.com to the root directory and renamed it command.com.  So far I
haven't experienced any failures.

BTW I'm glad I registered my copy of 4dos--it's well worth it!

A happy 4dos user ;-)

--

  DISCLAIMER:  I, hereby, disclaim any disclaimer except this disclaimer.

| David Rackley		        | Now comes the really weird part...You know  |
| Applied Research Laboratories | the part where I know how to tap dance, but |
| The University of Texas       | only while wearing golf shoes...            |
| Austin, TX.  78758            |        ...Ponderous, man, really ponderous! |