[comp.os.msdos.apps] WP Mail merge from dBase III+ ????

pgt@hpfcso.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) (01/30/91)

	Does anyone know of a *reasonably* easy way to create WP5.1
secondary merge files from dBase III+?  I know of 1 very ugly path,
consisting of writing some spreadsheet format file from dBase, running
the "convert" program supplied with WP5.1, and editing out the first
record in the resulting secondary merge file.  Yick -- that's too
complicated and error prone for *any* user, much less the somewhat
inexperienced users who'll be using this setup.

	My goal, obviously, would be to have WP read the pertinent
records and fields directly from a dBase file.  I realize that's
probably a pipe dream ;-<, but I'd like to come close to that form of
seamless integration between the two applications.  Does anyone know
if FoxBase can write WP merge files?  Maybe I'll call Fox this week.

	Any suggestions from you extremely experienced folks would be
appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

	Paul Tobin
	pgt@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

burgoyne@eng.umd.edu (John R. Burgoyne) (01/31/91)

In article <15600004@hpfcso.HP.COM> pgt@hpfcso.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a *reasonably* easy way to create WP5.1
>secondary merge files from dBase III+?  I know of 1 very ugly path,
>consisting of writing some spreadsheet format file from dBase, running
>the "convert" program supplied with WP5.1, and editing out the first
>record in the resulting secondary merge file.  Yick -- that's too
>complicated and error prone for *any* user, much less the somewhat
>inexperienced users who'll be using this setup.

I create labels in DBASE which have the appropriate fields, then export
the results to a disk file (ASCII). I then have a couple of WP macros
which clean up the ASCII file and put in the appropriate End Field,
End Record commands. This then merges quite well with the WP primary file.

Robert

In article <15600004@hpfcso.HP.COM> pgt@hpfcso.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a *reasonably* easy way to create WP5.1
>secondary merge files from dBase III+?

As of 5.0 at least (haven't tried with 5.1) you could just use an ascii
file with ^R (that's control-R) as a field terminator and ^E as the
record terminator.  If your report writer lets you imbed control characters
just make a file that looks like:

Field1^R
Field2
 multi-line fields are OK^R
Field3^R
^E
 ..repeat

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

jgb1@ra.MsState.Edu (John G. Burrell) (01/31/91)

In <15600004@hpfcso.HP.COM> pgt@hpfcso.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a *reasonably* easy way to create WP5.1
>secondary merge files from dBase III+?  I know of 1 very ugly path,
>consisting of writing some spreadsheet format file from dBase, running
>the "convert" program supplied with WP5.1, and editing out the first

>seamless integration between the two applications.  Does anyone know
>if FoxBase can write WP merge files?  Maybe I'll call Fox this week.

>	Any suggestions from you extremely experienced folks would be
>appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

>	Paul Tobin
>	pgt@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

Well, I didn't like it either, so I wrote a Clipper program to convert
a dBase III/+/IV database to a WordPerfect 5.1 merge file.  It's been
awhile since I've looked at it, but I believe it ports ALL fields and
ALL records -- Should be pretty easy to select only what you really need
from within dbase and write to some temporary database, then run this
program to do the final conversion.

I guess I'm offering this program y'all :-).  If anyone is interested,
E-MAIL me and I'll see about setting up an anonymous ftp for it.  It will
probably take a few days to verify the program still works, write a little
documentation and get it out there for ftp.

Jay     jgb1@Ra.MsState.Edu

--
Jay Burrell
Computing Center