[comp.os.msdos.apps] Procomm Plus v2.0 question

marv@netcom.UUCP (Marvin Raab) (02/04/91)

I recently upgraded to a 386sx from a 286 and, PCPLUS v1.0 started having
a minor problem. Whenever I dialed out, it would work fine except the
Status Line's OFF-LINE would remain OFF-LINE. It wouldn't shift to ON-LINE.

Then, I realized that no one could dial into my PC running PCPLUS in
Host Mode any longer. The modem would answer but they wouldn't receive the
HOST menu.

I figured it might have been the older version--that it wouldn't work with
the 386sx so I went out and purchased v2.0. Same problems. The modem answers
but the WAITING... remains and no HOST menu is transmitted. (also the OFF-LINE
remains when I dial out).

Before I call Datastorm tech support, can anyone on the net help me?

Thanks!

                         -marvin

jqg9462@acfcluster.nyu.edu (02/04/91)

In article <22739@netcom.UUCP>, marv@netcom.UUCP (Marvin Raab) writes:

> I recently upgraded to a 386sx from a 286 and, PCPLUS v1.0 started having
> a minor problem. Whenever I dialed out, it would work fine except the
> Status Line's OFF-LINE would remain OFF-LINE. It wouldn't shift to ON-LINE.
>
> Then, I realized that no one could dial into my PC running PCPLUS in
> Host Mode any longer. The modem would answer but they wouldn't receive the
> HOST menu.
>
> I figured it might have been the older version--that it wouldn't work with
> the 386sx so I went out and purchased v2.0. Same problems. The modem answers
> but the WAITING... remains and no HOST menu is transmitted. (also the OFF-LINE
> remains when I dial out).

   I suggest you check the hardware. My modem worked perfect with either
ProComm 2.4.3 or PC+ 1.1 or Telix. But after I installed DESQview, it refused
to dial out. The problem went away after I changed my modem. But I still don't
know what the problem exactly was.

Jun

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (02/05/91)

marv@netcom.UUCP (Marvin Raab) writes...

>I recently upgraded to a 386sx from a 286 and, PCPLUS v1.0 started having
>a minor problem. Whenever I dialed out, it would work fine except the
>Status Line's OFF-LINE would remain OFF-LINE. It wouldn't shift to ON-LINE.
>
>Then, I realized that no one could dial into my PC running PCPLUS in
>Host Mode any longer. The modem would answer but they wouldn't receive the
>HOST menu.

	It sounds like you've got a problem with the carrier detect (CD) signal
coming from the modem.  It is this signal that tells Procomm (or any other
comms package) that you are online.  Likewise, when in host mode, Procomm waits
for the modem to assert CD so it knows when somebody has dialed in.  When it
sees this signal it starts sending the welcome message etc.

	The problem could be that the modem can't assert the signal or that the
PC serial port receiver for the CD line is dead.  If you are unable to easily
measure these then try to borrow another modem or serial card to try to
determine which is faulty.  Don't bother Datastorm though, it certainly isn't
their problem.

David.

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!lrcsnl.enet!wales    |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 561-7334 (Work)      |
|  mine only!                            | FAX:    (61) 2 561-7441             |