[comp.os.msdos.apps] 386MAX

murli@dolphins.ent.ohiou.edu (murli-ramakrishnan-ISE-272-90-2726) (01/30/91)

Hi,
  Has anyone had any experience of getting 386MAX 5.0 to work with
PC-NFS and WIndows 3.0? It loads all the drivers perfectly at high
memory without any problems. But when I do a nfsrun to run PC-NFS it
says something like privelege violation and reboots the machine.

Murli Ram                    murli@cubix.ent.ohiou.edu(NeXT Mail)
Ohio University              murli@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu
Athens                       mramakri@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
			     ENT0086@ouaccvmb.bitnet

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (01/31/91)

(No cooperation between 386MAX 5.0, PC-NFS, and Windows 3.0)

I have the same problem!  Anyone have the answer to this?
--
Adam Porter: Assistant SysAdmin, NEC Research Institute, Princeton NJ
adam@research.nec.com   {...}!princeton!necserve!adam        C:\> alp

kjetilo@gollum.uio.no (Kjetil Otter Olsen) (01/31/91)

Adam Porter writes:

>Subject: Re: 386MAX
>From: porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter)
>Date: 30 Jan 91 22:10:46 GMT
>
>(No cooperation between 386MAX 5.0, PC-NFS, and Windows 3.0)
>
>I have the same problem!  Anyone have the answer to this?
>--
>Adam Porter: Assistant SysAdmin, NEC Research Institute, Princeton NJ
>adam@research.nec.com   {...}!princeton!necserve!adam        C:\> alp

386MAX 5.0 does not support Windows 3.0. You must upgrade to 5.10.

--
Kjetil Otter Olsen				kjetilo@gollum.uio.no
Central Computing Service, University of Oslo, Norway

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (02/01/91)

In article <Jan.30.17.10.45.1991.6126@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
>(No cooperation between 386MAX 5.0, PC-NFS, and Windows 3.0)
>
>I have the same problem!  Anyone have the answer to this?

    Two suggestions: Make sure you've got 386MAX 5.1, which is fully
compatible with Windows 3.0 (386MAX 5.0 isn't).  Call Qualitas techincal
support.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

rjf@gdwb.oz.au (Rex Foord) (02/07/91)

murli@dolphins.ent.ohiou.edu (murli-ramakrishnan-ISE-272-90-2726) writes:

>Hi,
>  Has anyone had any experience of getting 386MAX 5.0 to work with
>PC-NFS and WIndows 3.0? It loads all the drivers perfectly at high
>memory without any problems. But when I do a nfsrun to run PC-NFS it
>says something like privelege violation and reboots the machine.

386Max works quite well with PCNFS. But not all drivers can be loaded high!

PCNFS.SYS and SOCKDRV.SYS can be loaded high. We are using cabletron cards
and I have found that even though there drivers can be loaded high the machine
hangs as you report. Don't load them high.

In the autoexec file or whereever you start NFS , PRT can be loaded high.

Previously we where using 3com 3c503 cards with packet drivers. The packet
driver could be loaded high.

As you can see a bit of experimentation is required!

To use 386Max and windows in enhanced mode you need 386max v5.1
I'm pretty sure i could get windows 3 to run with 386max v5.0 but not in enhanced mode.

Hope this helps!!

Rex Foord
PC Support, Geelong and District Water Board (Aust)
rjf@gdwb.oz.au