[comp.os.msdos.apps] DOS/WINDOWS Help

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (02/07/91)

I know nothing about windows, and I want to change this.  If I had a 386
running windows, what happends to a non-window program? Like Quattro Pro 2?
Will it still run from windows? Do you have to turn windows off? Is windows
something that you can turn off without rebooting?  Any talk about WordPerfect
for windows yet?
Thanks for your help!
Matthew

--
 But I still like my ST...         HP-48SX            GEnie     M.DUCEY
 SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm

elmanad@portia.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.180831.13167@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>I know nothing about windows, and I want to change this.  If I had a 386
>running windows, what happends to a non-window program? Like Quattro Pro 2?
>Will it still run from windows? Do you have to turn windows off? Is windows
>something that you can turn off without rebooting?  Any talk about WordPerfect
>for windows yet?
>Thanks for your help!
>Matthew
>
>--
> But I still like my ST...         HP-48SX            GEnie     M.DUCEY
> SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm
> "But Sgt. Airborne, look how high we are"!       mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu
1) You can run a non-windows program from Windows.  All you have to do
is either use the run menu option from the File Manager, or the best way is
to run the file manager, locate the executable file in its directory,
and drag it to a group in the Program Manager window (probably the
group called "Non-Windows Applications."  In standard and real mode,
you can only run non-windows applications full-screen, (i.e. they look
exactly like they usually do, except that when you exit them they will
memory) you can run them in their own windows.  I don't know about
Quattro Pro 2.0, but I have been running the previous version of
Quattro Pro full-screen on my 286 in standard mode with absolutely no
problems for quite a while now.

2) To "turn off" Windows, just exit the Program Manager.  The program
will ask you if you want to end your Windows Session, and if you
choose yes, you will be returned to the DOS prompt.  But you should be
able to run most DOS apps at least full-screen from Windows.

3) Last I heard, WP for Windows is slated to come out in mid-91.  But
then again, we all know what those kind of announcements mean.  From
what I hear, though, the product will have all the features of WP5.1,
plus support for all the special features of Windows (DDE, OLE, etc.)
I'm excited...

Later,
Adam D. Elman
elmanad@portia.stanford.edu
My opinions don't really represent anything.  Oh well.