[comp.os.msdos.apps] Mathematica for PC

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (02/06/91)

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>ssakata@weber.ucsd.edu (Shinichi Sakata) writes:

>>Hi,
>>  I heard that there was Mathematica for IBM PC. I am very interested
>>in it. Does anyone use it? If you have used Mathematica for IBM-PC,
>>would you please tell me how you feel about it?

>  Only thing I heard about it is that an 80386 with and 80387 is required,
>(EGA+ ??) and LOTS of money....
For a few years now, Wolfram has had a text-only (character-based)
version of Mathematica out for the PC.  It does require a 386, I'm
not sure that it requires a 387.  I have been hearing from Wolfram
(I know several people that work for them, in town) that they are
already done with a version that runs under Windows 3.0 and looks
"exactly like Macintosh Mathematica version 1.2 Enhanced".  Which is
what I use all the time.  The version of 1.2 Enhanced that I use on
the Mac does require a FPU, so I bet that a good PC version would,
too.
The new PC version (which has been official vaporware (tm) since
about November 1990, when it was first promised).

--
David Lemson    U of Illinois Computing Services Student Consultant
Internet : lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana

ran@doc.ic.ac.uk (Robert A Nicholls) (02/07/91)

There are two text based versions of Mathematica for a 80386 PC, one requires
a 80387, the other does not.

   Bob.

ssakata@weber.ucsd.edu (Shinichi Sakata) (02/08/91)

   Thank you very much for good replies. I got some mail from other
people, too. I got very interested in Mathematica very much now. The
cost seems too high, but it might be worth money.
   Thank you again.
          SHINICHI SAKATA at UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO
                          ssakata@ucsd.edu