[comp.os.msdos.apps] Quicken V4.0 - worth upgrading from V3.0?

nxh@meaddata.com (Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama) (02/08/91)

I'm using Quicken V3.0 for my personal financial planning, and I love it!
I'm wondring if it's worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to V4.0.  I understand that
it has special functions for keeping track of investments, but I'm handling it
already by treating it as a regular account.

I'd love to hear from all you folks who have upgraded from V3.0 to V4.0.
Please email.  Thanks!

									Higgy
--
Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama               |  ____/|
Mead Data Central, Dayton, OH            |  \ o.O|  Vote for Bill in '92!

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (02/08/91)

In article <2746@meaddata.meaddata.com> nxh@meaddata.com (Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama) writes:
>I'm using Quicken V3.0 for my personal financial planning, and I love it!
>I'm wondring if it's worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to V4.0.  I understand that
>it has special functions for keeping track of investments, but I'm handling it
>already by treating it as a regular account.

Quicken 4.0 will be useful to you if you have investments, such as
stocks and bonds, which don't maintain a constant share value (as do
some money market funds).

If all your money is in bank accounts and constant-value funds, the
extra features in 4.0 won't be of much use to you.  Of course, it's
so cheap that wondering whether it's "worth it" is kind of silly.  I
look at it as a no-brainer: IF you have varying-value assets, THEN
you should get 4.0.

One unreleated feature that I like is the ability to memorize reports.
I.e., you set up a report template ONCE, including customization and
filtering, then save it as a named, memorized report.  You can then run
the same report later without having to regenerate the template.

Quicken tip du jour:

Having trouble tracking down those pesky uncategorized transactions?
Just do a report with a filter of
	Category matches: ~..
to see them all.

[Disclaimer: I don't work for Intuit, but my wife does.]

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

bruce@chumley.UUCP (Bruce L. Stewart) (02/09/91)

In article <6223@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>In article <2746@meaddata.meaddata.com> nxh@meaddata.com (Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama) writes:

NH>> [ ... request for upgrade experiences deleted ... ]

BW>Quicken 4.0 will be useful to you if you have investments, such as
BW>stocks and bonds, which don't maintain a constant share value (as do
BW>some money market funds).

Absolutely.  The ability to track investments (multiple accounts), share
prices, portfolio performance, etc. is excellent -- and well worth the
price of the upgrade.  I've used Quicken since version 2.0 to run my
personal and business finances, and it just keeps getting better!

[ ... other text deleted ... ]

BW>One unreleated feature that I like is the ability to memorize reports.
BW>I.e., you set up a report template ONCE, including customization and
BW>filtering, then save it as a named, memorized report.  You can then run
BW>the same report later without having to regenerate the template.

Right again.  Memorized reports was a long-overdue feature.  In a nutshell:
Upgrade.  You can't go wrong with 4.0.

>[Disclaimer: I don't work for Intuit, but my wife does.]

I don't work for Intuit, either ... and I'm not married 8-).

-bruce stewart

--
--- Bruce L. Stewart (the digital demento) ---------------------------------
    Responsive Designs