[comp.os.msdos.apps] Norton SD is STUPID!

erlendd@makro.nhh.no (Erlend Dyrnes) (01/16/91)

>I was satisfied with this program until I used the new version 5.0 !
>This new version actually moved my ibmio and ibmsys files !!!!!!!!!!!

	[stuff deleted]

This is *serious*! I must say I'm quite amazed about Mr.Norton in this
case. Has anyone as asked the Nortons about when they're going to
release a version of SpeedDisk that is actually working on all DOS-disks
and all current DOS-versions. I've never dared using SpeedDisk myself
after all the reports I've read about problems following the SpeedDisk
operation. Stick to MACE's UNFRAGMENT is my solution.

Please comment if you have any solutions on the SpeedDisk problem.

erlend
--
Erlend Dyrnes , Computer Science Engineer, Center for International Business
at The Norwegian Scool of Economics and business administration

rani@makro.nhh.no (Ragnar Nielsen) (01/17/91)

Funny, I have tested this version somewhat myself, and I have yet to find
faults with its operation.
The only reason for SD to behave as described which come to mind, is if
SD has been configured to handle those system files as plain files. I have
tried to move them out of place and fragment them (without consecutive re-
boot), and SD refuses to touch them.
Methinks mr. Norton ain't *that* stupid, there must be some logical
explanation behind it.

Regards,

Ragnar Nielsen
Network analyst / customer support manager
ID Communication A/S

rani@makro.nhh.no
rani@bbb.uu.no

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) (01/18/91)

> I was satisfied with this program until I used the new version 5.0 !
> This new version actually moved my ibmio and ibmsys files !!!!!!!!!!!
Some more info about this:
We had this problem on 2 different PC's, both AT compatible (HP vectra) one
running dos 3.2 the other running dos 4.01
BOTH were running sd under Norton Commander.
When I called Norton support they acknowledge having problems with some tsr's

When I said that sd moved these 2 system files I meant that it moved their
names in the root directory, not the files themselves.

I ran sd several time after that (I'm checking the location of these files
carefully now) whithout problem. But each time I'm choosing the full
optimization method. The first time (when I experiewnced the problem) I had
choosen the default suggested method of optimization )

Daniel Palmans.

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (01/20/91)

Hmm, it moved your system files. Well, where they "hidden" files?
I noticed that Norton SD, at least my copy, which is 5.0, will not
move any "hidden" files, and those two files are usually hidden. Also,
I ran ir once with the two files unhidden, and it didn't make my HD
unbootable. I am not sure if they were moved or not, but it didn't stop
my HD from booting. Anyway, make sure your files are hidden, because it
won't touch those.
-Ron
Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/21/91)

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) writes:
> I was satisfied with this program until I used the new version 5.0 !
> This new version actually moved my ibmio and ibmsys files !!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, I've been running the 5.0 version of SpeeDisk for a while now, and
it hasn't moved any of my files.  Admittedly, my DOS uses MSDOS.SYS
and IO.SYS, but SD still sees them with the HIDDEN attribute and
refuses to move them.

Are you sure you didn't unhide the files, or remove the SYSTEM
attribute?  It's quite possible that SD doesn't have the filenames
hardcoded in; instead, it just doesn't move anything that's hidden or
system.  (That's actually a better algorithm, since it's more flexible
and not as DOS-dependant.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) (01/22/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.os.msdos.apps / ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) /  7:59 pm  Jan 19, 1991 /

> Hmm, it moved your system files. Well, where they "hidden" files?
YES ! They were hidden. I have a standard system without anything special or
fancy.

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) (01/22/91)

> Uh, I've been running the 5.0 version of SpeeDisk for a while now, and
> it hasn't moved any of my files.  Admittedly, my DOS uses MSDOS.SYS
> and IO.SYS, but SD still sees them with the HIDDEN attribute and
> refuses to move them.
>
> Are you sure you didn't unhide the files, or remove the SYSTEM
> attribute?  It's quite possible that SD doesn't have the filenames
> hardcoded in; instead, it just doesn't move anything that's hidden or
> system.  (That's actually a better algorithm, since it's more flexible
> and not as DOS-dependant.)
YES I'm absolutely sure these files were hidden and marked as system.
When I called Norton On-line support (after A VERY LONG WAIT....) they
acknowledge problems with *some* TSR's....
As mentionned before the only tsr running at that time was Norton Commander !

Daniel Palmans

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/23/91)

In article <51050004@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) writes:
>YES I'm absolutely sure these files were hidden and marked as system.
>When I called Norton On-line support (after A VERY LONG WAIT....) they
>acknowledge problems with *some* TSR's....
>As mentionned before the only tsr running at that time was Norton Commander !

Personally, I wouldn't run ANY disk optimization program with ANY TSR's
loaded.

Just my $.02 worth.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/28/91)

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) writes:
> acknowledge problems with *some* TSR's....
> As mentionned before the only tsr running at that time was Norton Commander !

While I'll acknowledge that it would seem that Norton could at least
support their own TSR programs, it's fairly common knowledge that you
shouldn't run TSRs when you run things like SpinRite or SpeeDisk.  I
once tried it with the QuickCache disk cache loaded...Good thing I had
recent back-ups.

--

yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009) (02/05/91)

>   I don't agree. At least disk cashe will speed up the process a lot. And
>mouse drivers and other TSRs will all be handy if the optimizer is compatible.
>With PC-Tools Compress can run with all PC-Tools programs, including PC-Cache
>PC-Shell...

I would hope that PC-tools would work with each other.  But if you use
some of the Norton Tools while PC-Cache, Smartdr or any other cache
program is running you are bound to have some type of problem.  I turn
off all of my TSRs when I have to use any of the Norton or PC-tools that
make direct changes to the disk.

Also the PC-Tools backup program destoried the install disk that came
with it.  I installed the program and it just started writting to the
install disk saying it was doing a speed test.  THE DISK WAS WRITE
PROTECTED! Has anyone had this happen to them?

						Bill Yow

yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.103824@magic.Berkeley.EDU> yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009) writes:
>>   I don't agree. At least disk cashe will speed up the process a lot. And
>>mouse drivers and other TSRs will all be handy if the optimizer is compatible.
>>With PC-Tools Compress can run with all PC-Tools programs, including PC-Cache
>>PC-Shell...
>
>I would hope that PC-tools would work with each other.  But if you use
>some of the Norton Tools while PC-Cache, Smartdr or any other cache
>program is running you are bound to have some type of problem.  I turn
>off all of my TSRs when I have to use any of the Norton or PC-tools that
>make direct changes to the disk.
>						Bill Yow
>yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

Not that I recommend it, but I have been using Microsoft SmartDrive
that comes with Windows with Norton 4.5 SpeedDisk and PC-Tools 5.1
Compress with no problems.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (02/16/91)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

>In article <1991Feb4.034224.1@acfcluster.nyu.edu> jqg9462@acfcluster.nyu.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Jan22.213923.10877@sj.ate.slb.com>, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>>> Personally, I wouldn't run ANY disk optimization program with ANY TSR's
>>> loaded.
>>   I don't agree. At least disk cashe will speed up the process a lot.
>>With PC-Tools Compress can run with all PC-Tools programs, including PC-Cache
>>Jun

>I run COMPRESS almost daily (lots of stuff installed and uninstalled all the
>time) with SMARTDRV.SYS (2048) and a bunch of networking software. It never
>hurt my system, but I usually do reboot afterwards. I don't have much
>experience with SD because it is so unbelievably slooooooow..... Anyone out
>there used a different optimizer that would be faster than COMPRESS and have
>a similar organization scheme (to standard on compress)? Something that
>would optimize BIG drives?

>Tony
>.

I am a frequent user of Norton's SD.  Iuse it _because_ it is reliable and
safe.  If there should be a power failure, then I don't loose anything.  In
fact, I even get it to do a "verify after write".  To me, the security of
the data on my HD is of greater importance than saving 10 or 15 minutes.
Besides, one can always find something else to do, whilst waiting.  Just to
put this time factor into perspective, I tend to be a VERY impatient computer
user.  If I have to wait for the computer to catch up to me, then I get
somewhat peeved.  However, data security is MORE important to me.

I am currently using Norton 5.0.  I am very pleased with the enhansements
in this version.

A point I would like to make about disk cache programs (eg: Smartdrv.sys).
Thet operate by keeping a copy of the latest data read from and/or written
to a drive being cached.  The cache is checked first when data is required
off of a cached drive.  If it is not there, then the drive is read directly.
The reason I mention all this, is to point out the verify process of a
program such as SD, would be of no use, as it would simply be verifying the
data currently stored in the cache.

Therefore, I recommend the following:

	a) Turn off the cache facility for the drive(s) to be unfragmented.

	b) Use a program such as Norton's SD which does NOT rely on storing
	   the shuffled data in memory.  Shaw it will take longer than the
	   other type of program, but what value do you place on you data?

        c) Use the "verify after write" facility of that program.  Again,
	   data security.

	d) Turn on the cache facility, and reboot the computer.

Now for the disclaimer:  I am NOT in anyway connected to the developers/
destributors of Norton Utilities.   This advice is given freely from my
experience as a PC Consultant.

PS:  Turn off the cache when ever you are doing software repairs to ant disk
     drive.  Otherwise, you want be aware of any write faults.

Brad.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au